Role Call

I walked into Ms. Smiths classroom. I always loved school, Mabel loved it for art class. I looked up to say hello to Ms. Smith, but just my luck, we have a substitute. Most kids don't mind subs, but for me it's not just that they don't know how the class works. It's that on the role call, my name is still Maya.

"What's wrong, Dip?" Mabel asked seeing my nervous face.

"We have a substitute. She's going to say the wrong name in front of the hole class! And they almost forgot I was born a girl." I said freaking out.

"It's ok. If she won't call you Dipper, all be as loud and annoying as possible!" Mabel said a little to loudly. I laughed at my silly sister.

"Thanks Mabel." I said as we took our seats. Mabel started talking to anyone who would, and wouldn't, listen. I took out a magic tree house book and started to read.

"Hello everyone!" The sub said from the front of the classroom, writing her name on the chalkboard. "My name is Mrs. Kim. Time for role call." My palms started to sweat and I had butterfly's in my stomach. She started reading names, but I was to scared to pay attention. And I was running out out of time. "Mabel Pines?" She asked.

"Here!" Mabel shouted, jumping out of her seat. I'm next.

"Maya Pines?" She asked. I slowly raised my hand and said.

"That's not my name." The teacher looked shocked. This is it. The moment where she tells me I can't be who I am.

"Well, what is your name?" Mrs. Kim asked. Now it's my turn to be shocked. It took Mrs. Smith a week of Mabel's craziness to finally call me Dipper, but Mrs. Kim is ok with it.

"Dipper. Dipper Pines." I said more confidently.

"Well than Dipper, thank you for speaking up." She said smiling.

"No," I said. "thank you."