Chapter eight

"Lance! Get up and fight!" Shiro commanded. "You can do this!"
    The Red Paladin shook his head, backing away from Kuron.
    The clone grinned, taking another step towards Lance. "You're not wanted here, Lance. You're just a stand in for Keith. I'm surprised Blue even accepted you as her Paladin."
    Lance raised his shield, stepping away from Kuron. "No... Y-you're wrong to think that... I... I..."
    "Quit muttering to yourself! You don't value your own talents and we all know that! But what is there to value? What's to be proud of when there's nothing?!"
    The Cuban boy's right arm dropped. The red bayard reverted to its original form. "Maybe you're right.... I'm just—"
    "A sharpshooter!" Shiro yelled, cutting him off. "You're a sharpshooter, Lance! You're a Paladin of Voltron! You found the Blue lion! You are the only one who's bayard has changed! And only you can change your weapon at will! Everyone here knows that! Especially you!"
    Kuron turned his back on Lance, charging straight for Shiro. "I told you to stay out of this!" He thrust his robotic arm out towards Shiro, aiming for his chest.
    Pow! Pow! Pow!
    Three gunshots rang out from behind the two Shiros.
    "No one hurts Shiro!" Lance repeated Keith's words as confidently as he could.
    Kuron jumped back, the particle shot wounds hit just below his shoulder. "How dare you! You're just—"
    "I'm the best fighter this universe has to offer! I'm not some weakling!" He held his head high, gun still pointed to the clone. "Come and fight me you fake!"
    Kuron growled in anger. "Stupid kids! Always getting in the way!"
    Both ran towards on another, weapons at the ready. Suddenly, Lance decided to changed his bayard from a gun to a sword. With a flash of light, the red Altean Broadsword resided in his hand once again.

***

    "You never wait to make a plan do you, Keith?!" Haggar spat, evading his almost random attacks. "You're no Galra... You're weak! Just like your teammate!"
    Keith grit his teeth, "shut up already! You aren't Galra either... Yet everyone bows to you! How sick! You're just a fake! A fake like all of your pawns!" He swung his blade fast and hard towards the witch's head.
    "Too slow..." Haggar grabbed the blade in her hands and sent a current of energy through it. "This blade is nothing if you cannot awaken it."
    "What did you..." He leapt back, gasping when he saw what she had done. She used her dark magic to bind the blade. No matter what he did, it wouldn't change to its awakened state. "Damn it!"
    "Now, now." She raised a hand to Keith, "don't be too upset. It'll wear off after a while....... But you'll be long dead by then." Straightening her fingers, she sent Keith flying backwards.
    He collided with Shiro, yelling in pain when their skulls hit one another's. "S-sorry, Shiro." Keith grunted.
   "Keith! You ok?!" Lance asked in worry. "What about you, Shiro?!"
    "We're fine, Lance." Shiro called back, rubbing his head repeatedly.
    In moments, Lance was at their side, covering the two of them with his shield. "Keith, you gotta get up and fight!"
    "I don't have a weapon, Lance!"
    The Red Paladin gulped. "It's ok... You take the clone in hand to hand combat. I've got the witch."
    "Are you insane?!? You'll die!" Keith protested.
    "Then you better avenge my death!" He ordered, half joking.
    "Enough strategizing! Come and fight like a Paladin!" Haggar took a few steps towards her three opponents. "Or have you given up...?"
    "I'm not done yet!" Lance yelled as he ran at her, shooting at her with his blaster. "Long range doesn't stand a chance against close range swords!" He grinned with glee as he changed his gun back to a sword. Lance was overcome with some sort of adrenaline, he felt unstoppable.

***

    "So we meet again." Kuron chuckled. "I'll take you down easily."
    "Oh yeah?!" Keith challenged, helping Shiro to his feet. "Two against one is never a fair fight... Is it... Kuron?"
    Shiro raised his arm to his chest, activating his Galran prosthetic. "I'm not sure how much I can fight, Keith..." he admitted quietly.
    "Just guard my back as much as you can..." Keith gripped his small blade tightly in his left hand. "Let's hope this blade still works...."