Everything Else

"Number 37!" I hear from the door. I take a deep breath and walk towards the audition room." I hand my sheet music to the pianist and walk to the center of the room. I size up the panel of judges,and they do the same to me. I notice a blonde girl and two tanned gentlemen sitting at the table. The younger man speaks first. He looks about 20. "Hi. I'm Ben Bryant. I'll be playing Fiyero in this production of Wicked." He extends his hand and I step forward,shaking it cautiously. "Rose Alexander." Ben releases my hand and I step back from the table. "I'm Abigail Fuller. I'll be playing Galinda." I shake her hand as well. "I'm James Morgan,I'm the director of this production." He remains seated,arms crossed on th Tabletop. "What song are you singing?" Ben asks,looking at what I assume is my resume. "Umm,I'm going to be singing Everything Else from Next To Normal." Ben nods and I see Abigail crack a smile. "Take it away." I take a deep breath as the pianist starts playing. I let the words flow from my mouth as the music enters my ears and fills my body. I finish the song and bow slightly. Ben is applauding loudly. I feel blush creeping up my cheeks. "Ok,so,can we have you do a scene?" I nod. "Which scene James?" The director looks down at a script in front of him. "As long as your mine. And feel it this time please Ben. We need to feel chemistry." Ben chuckles and hands me a script. I take it. "Act 2. Scene 8." I flip to the page quickly. "Whenever you are ready." I nod and begin.

"I just wish,"

"What?" "I just wish I could be beautiful,for you."

"Elphaba,"

"Don't tell me that I am. You don't need to lie to me."

"I'm not. I'm just,uh,looking at things in another way. Someday you and Glinda will make up and,"

A tear drips down my face as I open my mouth to speak again. Ben cuts me off before I can continue. "You ok?" I nod. "Fine. I just," tears are falling steadily now. "I really relate to this on a personal level." Ben nods. "Hey James,do you want her and Abigail to do loathing?" The director shakes his head. "Let her go. We'll let you know." He says to me. I nod and grab my sheet music from the pianist. "I'll show you out." Ben says, standing up from the table. "You don't have to." I say,wiping my nose with the back of my hand. "I insist," He hesitates,than adds,"Miss Elphaba." I smirk and follow him out.