Chapter 3

I slide on my white and gold home jersey. The jersey read "Kings 19". I pulled up my socks, laced up my sneakers, put on my armsleeve, and headband and looked in the mirror. Damn I looked good!

We walked onto the court and warmed up. I felt good and loose, I love the anxiety of game day. While warming up I always glanced througt the crowd to see whose there. The better looking the girls are, the more important the game is. The crowd was basically dead. I felt like I was in practice, there was no more than 40 people in attendance. "Jaylin!" I called her near me, "Where the fuck is the crowd man?" Jaylin looked at me confused, "Don't you see 40 people sitting right there? How could you miss like 50 people man? Please don't tell me you're high right now."

"Jaylin, relax its just I thought yall crowd would be turnt or something. You remember how we used to cut up in middle school? That's how every game was at Central." Coach Gonzales came and rudely pulled me to the side.

"I don't give a damn how cool you thought Central was, but you're at West Hayes now and you're going to play West Hayes basketball. I don't want in bullshit Cahseno, you're already in hot water with me," He warned. The refreees called for captains to meet up and when I tried to go, Johnson, our assistant coach stopped me dead in my tracks. "Where the hell you going? Get back over there and warm up."

"But they called for captains coach," I answered confused.

Johnson laughed her ass off when I said that. "Captain?" She cried, "You're lucky you're in a uniform right now. Who the hell made you captain?"

"I just assumed that.."

"You assumed wrong but, you did make my day. That shit was pretty damn funny."

Despite my feelings being hurt about now being a captain, I kept warming up anyway. I'm the best on the team how the hell am I not a captain, I questioned myself. I realized that this was all bullshit and they probably just wanted to try to keep me in line because of the whole ZZ thing. I knew it had to be their form of punishing me because there was no way I shouldn't have been captain. The other two girls they chose to be captain were lame as hell. They'd chosen Brittney and Marciela to be captains, both were seniors. Brittney was pretty good, but her game was boring she did the basic things. She'd catch the ball and do this raggedy ass head fake and take a dribble and shoot. I brought more of a flare to the game, I wasn't boring like she was. Marciela was ok I guess, but she passed too much. It was like she didn't care about points, which was pretty damn stupid if you asked me. Why make a person who didn't care about scoring captain? If the game came down to the wire she wouldn't shoot the ball, her soft ass would pass it. I know most coaches say "Offense wins games, but defense wins championships" but I think that's stupid and could tell that Marciela plays by that rule. Don't those coaches know that a championship is a game so if offense wins games, offense will win you championships.

My thoughts were broken up by anxiety as I awaited the ref to call tip off. Finally that magical moment came,"White that way, blue that way!" He barked pointing to the basket. Once the whistle blew we were off.

First our opponents, Red Country Senior High Lady Typhoons got the ball first. I watched them wide eyed as they passed the ball around. Finally, the girl I was guarding got the ball. She faked like she was going to shoot and when she brought the ball back down I stole it. i don't know who here sorry ass thought I was, I guess she didn't realized that I'm Cahseno. I took my longest strides down the court speeding past everyone and easily scoring. The rest of the game went like this and I found myself sitting pretty on 25 points by the beginning of the fourth quarter. Every time I'd hit a shot, I would let my defender know about it. I talked trash the whole game. I told every player that they couldn't guard me And I showboated every chance I got. I was a star on this team and coach had to let me be captain next game.

The girl I was guarding tried to shoot over me and missed horribly. "Damn, you fucking suck. Why do you even play? Are you have retarded?" I teased my opponent, "You're your mom's biggest disappointment." I started laughing. Gonzales started calling my name, but I ignored him. "Your mama still suck dick for food stamps and free bus passes?" Gonzales got tired of calling me and signaled for a timeout. When I walked to the bench, I could see Gonzales was angry, I didn't understand why. We were up 60- 45. Maybe he was mad because we was killing our little competition.

"Cahseno, come here now." he said firmly, "Sit your ass on the bench and don't get up, don't speak or ask for anything. Not even for water."

When the game finished, we went into the locker room whooping and hollering. We had won 65-60. "What the hell are y'all cheering for huh? Are yall cheerleaders?" Coach Gonzalez seemed angry.

"Cahseno, what were you doing out there do you know how many layups you missed!"

"Umm, no I dunno."

"Do you know how many times you ran the wrong play?"

"No sir,I do not." I murmured looking down.

"Look up at me now. I don't do stars or egos ok. Just because you shut down some team in the preseason doesn't make you good. You have talent but, you lack focus and your attitude is horrendous kid. You get in the game and act an ass!" After coach's bitching blew my high. I saw my wifey Danielle with some girls from the team, all suggesting we go party. I rejected their offers and decided to kick it with Danielle at her place.

"Seno, how many girls have you been with?", she sounded cute asking this. "Umm, 3.. you?" I really didn't want to know her answer. "Umm... well no. I slept with ZZ a year ago. It feels like a mistake now, but you and me feel so right." I turned away my true feelings and just held her. I knew I wasn't shit and I could tell sex meant a lot to her. "Why are you acting distant bae?" I could tell there was pain in her voice. "I just have a lot on my mind babe thats all." I sounded more like I was trying to convince myself than her. By not being confident in my lie she knew something was up. Especially because my voise came off weak and unsure.

* * * * * * * *

Most people were taught how to be loving and compassionate by their parents. Mine neglected that responsibility. My dad taught me how to fight and it contradicted my mom teaching me to be gentle. My pops wanted me to be strong and installed toughness in my heart, I guess I misinterpreted his lessons. I turned that toughness and strength to arrogance and pride. As I grew up i began to develop a temper and a lower tolerance. My temper got worse and worse and ate me up inside. In the ninth grade, I learned I suffered from FNU/FBU Syndrome (Fuck Niggas Up/Fuck Bitches Up) syndrome. I began to get hollow and not show signs of affection, until this day I never changed.

I kissed Danielle on the cheek. For I while I stood there observing her body while she was in my arms. Her curves were so perfect. Danielle had caramel colored skin and long brown hair. Her hair went got lighter and lighter the closer it got to the blond tips. Her eyes were green and sometimes a very light gray almost clear looking. Her lips were full and pink and they got more attention because of her little cute button nose. Her nose complimented her lips well. An hour glass was the only way to describe her figure, her clothes always clung to her curves. And her smile was filled with perfect little white teeth. She was the one person I would ever describe ass flawless.