chapter thirty four

jonah's pov

Nobody asks how we feel. They ask Maya, Christina, and Tony and Daniel. But not me, or Corbyn, Jack or Zach. I loved Ayla since the day I laid eyes on her, I just found out she ran away.

In first grade, when Daniel started liking her, I used to chase her around until recess was over. She would always be tired and sweaty by the end and she never looked amused with my little game. But I chased her because I wanted her attention. She always ran from me. Because I was her problem at the time. Ayla Gray Santos runs from her problems.

"Daniel, how are you feeling?" I heard Jack ask him and I wanted to punch something. I groaned, Ill be back," I shot towards the door. "You okay, Jonah?" Daniel took the generosity to ask me, causing me to pause. But me being me. I snapped. "No. I'm not fucking okay," I threw my water in my hand on the ground, shattering the glass cup into a thousand pieces. Breathing hard, I listened. "Woah. What's going on here," Zach calmly asked walking in. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. But I stayed chill and spoke with an angry tone. "Nothing. It's just that. When was the last time anyone asked us how we felt about all this.. shit. I am tired of it. We knew Ayla too. We were her friends. It's like we're so overrated that nobody talks about us or cares to know how we feel. Well you know what? We miss her too. Ya know?" I could feel hot tears burning in my eyes.

"Jonah. I'm so sorry. I've been so caught up thinking about her-" I stopped Daniel. Angry. I snapped once again at him, with a snarling growl. "Oh fuck off. I've been thinking about her too, okay. I probably miss her a lot more than you do." Well shit. I shouldn't have said that. Daniel's hand formed a fist as it soared towards my face. His fist collided and I was knocked back a few steps, falling to the ground and seeing black and blue stars. I didn't do anything else because I deserved it. I just wiped off the blood from my lip.

"Jonah. You're my brother. I love you like one, I respect you like one and you better be for damn sure I treat you like one." Daniel spoke, tears racing down his cheeks. "You guys don't even know-" He stopped, biting his lip to keep himself from crying. "I can't even begin to explain how much I'm hurting right now." He sobbed, wiping his tears, he raced upstairs, leaving a trail of a small stream.

Now I felt shitty.

"Jonah, you always say the wrong thing at the wrong time don't you." Corbyn joked, giving me a hand up from still being on the ground. I chuckled. Then thought of Ayla again. How I'd practically harassed her once, by forcing her to kiss me. How I'd made her feel awful after telling her I was in love with her. I did some pretty messed up things to her and Daniel. So, she got fed up and left. I hoped it wasn't only my fault though. I also thought about how she left whenever things got rough.

I'm not surprised. Ayla Gray always runs away from her problems.

-

epilogue here we go!!

6/7/18