[10] An Apology?

I'm back with another chapter! I know I said that I'm putting this story on hold, what with all the pandemonium of school and the virus, buuut I recently got time to update, so here I am! I won't waste any more of your time with useless speeches, so go ahead and hopefully enjoy my trashy writing!

__________________________

| PJ

The pool party was pretty great, although I did have to endure some really embarrassing moments where I was ambushed by my guests. And one of them was that stupid nerd.

Seriously, the nerve of that guy! He's lucky that he saved my life that day, or else I'd have beaten him up by now.

Ink had made cheese sandwiches. There was another plate with honey-glazed wing-dings piled high on it. My dad tends to go a little overboard when it comes to food. Ahem. 

Okay, so I know it's not a proper lunch.

But the crispy hot smell...I definitely didn't try to restrain myself whatsoever in digging in.

I mean, my mouth was watering, and that's impressive considering I'm not exactly "human" to produce saliva.

Later, after we'd all finished our food, I leaned back in my chair with a full stomach, grabbing a glass of water and proceeding to take a sip. Everyone else was talking among themselves.

'Hey, PJ,' Furball spoke up. Yeah, I call him a furball sometimes even though I know his name is Burgerpants.

Whatever. We're friends. I can call him whatever I like.

'Hm?' I replied, eyeing the nerd who sat across from me curiously as he stared at his now empty plate, picking at a tiny notch on the table. For someone who's pretty good at delivering insults, he doesn't seem like a very social person...

'Is the klutz part of the gang now?'

Fresh's head jerked up so fast he almost got whiplash, and I nearly choked on my next sip of water.

Woah, that could have been deadly. I coughed thrice, then set the glass down on the tabletop. Maybe I should just stay away from water from now on. First in the pool, now my own goddamn house.

'What gave you that idea?' I narrowed my eye sockets at the orange cat as he shrugged casually.

'You're a little too friendly with him if you ask me. And he did save you from getting splattered all over the road,' he said. I winced as I remembered that horrifying experience.

It had also been embarrassing, to be honest. Fresh had seen me in a moment of weakness. I mean, what kind of person in their right mind would freeze like a bunny in front of a car? I should have had enough sense to get up and run.

(To be fair, most people would be too afraid to move in that situation...)

Fresh looked extremely uncomfortable as he looked anywhere but at me and the other Monsters present. I eyed him for a few seconds before leaning back in my chair and crossing my arms in the classic "back-off-and-mind-your-own-business" posture. 

'Regardless of whether he's my friend or not, he still saved my life. What did you expect me to do, beat him up? Did you, Snuggles?' I replied, smirking. Yeowch. I knew that was a low blow but I knew that he wouldn't shut up if I didn't do something. Fresh and I would never hear the end of it.

'And don't call him klutz,' I added, for some reason feeling annoyed. "Klutz" was my nickname for the nerd, and it wasn't fair if someone else said it. I mean, doesn't every bully/frenemy have his own personal torture name for his victim--I mean, frenemy?