II

The elegant handwriting on the envelope you held in your hand was enough to give away the surprise hidden inside. You knew your sister too well and you had been awaiting this day ever since she got engaged to Ryan.

Nina Y/L/N & Ryan Hammond request your presence at the ceremony and celebration of their marriage...

You quickly skimmed the rest of the letter before dialling your sister's number.

"Y/N!" she screamed the moment she took it, "Did you get my it?"

"Oh, I did," you said smirking, "Was very surprised, too."

"Oh, shut up! Just because I may have called a few times to get your help deciding the font, you can't complain."

"-And emailed and texted. I'm sure if you knew any other way to reach me you would have used it, too." you laughed at her little huff of indignance.

"You are one of my bridesmaids," she shot back. She had originally planned for you to be her maid of honour but your working schedule simply wouldn't allow you to do it. Besides, you knew how much your cousin Ava dreamed of it and that she would appreciate the role much more. She had literally made you spend hours as children pretending to plan a wedding where she planned all the details such as the bachelorette party and the reception. She was perfect for the job.

"So, you are bringing Steve, right? I already told mom all about him and she can't wait to meet him!" She told you and you were glad she wasn't here to watch your face drop at the sound of Steve.

It was only a month later but you found yourself missing him more than you expected to. Even if it had all been for show, it was harder to convince your heart that and your plan to move on was put on hold. You allowed yourself to relish in the small moments when his hand would brush against yours reminding you of how he held it when you were out and about in the city and the movie nights where he sat just a bit too close and allowed you to feel the warmth radiating from his body once again reminding you of how close he held you that one night. It was hard to go back to simply being a friend and you had to stop yourself multiple times from grabbing his hand, kissing his cheek and doing things that would be classified as couple things and crossing the lines when all you were were friends.

And now the lie had caught up with you and you either had to bite the bullet and ask Steve once again or let your families know what a liar you were. Either one was undesirable. Although Steve had been kind after the entire ordeal and had let you know how lovely your sister was, you were sure he had found it weird. You couldn't possibly subject him to the same lie, and make it ten times worse. Your sister had gotten her nosy nature from your mother and you were sure that if you brought Steve with you back home, he would be subjected to even worse questions.

You could just tell them that you had broken up but before you could even say anything your sister said the worst imaginable thing. "Dad is even looking forward to it."

Your father was your everything and disappointing him was the only thing you would never be able to do. He had been your rock through your difficult moments growing up and after moving out to the city, he had told you many valuable things that made the move easier. The loneliness at first had been overwhelming as you attempted to fit in and he had been the voice of reason assuring you that everything would end up fine - and it did. You were happy he convinced you to continue chasing your dreams and not fall back on the safe and secure past you had lived. He knew you wanted more in life than the small town you had grown up in could ever give you. You would not end up disappointing him, especially if he was excited to meet your 'boyfriend'.

"We'll be there!"

You had some serious convincing to do.

Or so you thought. Steve actually agreed much more readily than you imagined. You barely had to bring the concept of faking it up again before he was saying yes, despite not even knowing the context.