Game Five

The Game
Chapter Five

"Okay," I said as I pulled a glass out of a cabinet. "Let's try splashing cold water on their faces. Maybe it'll work this time."

"Hopefully." Tobais said as he wiped his hands on a towel.

I filled two glasses of water, led the two outside, and splashed the water on them.

They didn't budge. 

"Well," I said as Tobais came over to see me. "We have two choices. One, we could lock them somewhere and let the trance wear off, or two, slap them until the trance wears off." 

"Let's go for the former." Tobais said. 

I nodded. Toby took Matthew inside, while I took Marcie inside. We then locked them into an unused bedroom with some food and water. Hopefully, the trance will wear off soon. Otherwise, they'll be dead weight. And, the last thing you want in the apocalypse is dead weight, so, yeah.

I hummed some old song that no one remembered. The only person who remembered was my mum, who was long gone, lost somewhere in the Bent. 

"I hope you dance, I hope you dance." 

"I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean."

I shook my head as a tear rolled down my face. I was close to my mother and I missed her. She was my mother, after all. 

I was not expecting to see Tobais in the hallway, trying to find something in our large amounts of drawers. 

"Stella, do you know where I could find some wood?" Tobais asked. 

"Um, try the garage. If you need to cut anything let me know." I responded as I saw a peek of my baby brother's unfinished nursery. 

After some thought, I managed to bring myself to enter the space. 

I hadn't entered the space since mum and dad vanished into the Bent with my older brother, Carson. 

My baby brother was just a few weeks old before he was taken by my mother to the Bent. His nursery was unfinished because he was born early and we didn't have time to finish it before he was born. 

It's not like I knew he was coming back -because he wasn't -, I just wanted him to. 

He didn't have a mind of his own yet. He was still full of possibility, but was forcibly taken out of this world by an idiotic building that had no purpose of existing. 

Just because everyone has their noses in their technology. 

I shook my head and walked out of the room. I won't deny that technology is a good thing and useful when used correctly, but no one was using it correctly. 

People were too obsessed. 

They preferred to use technology while driving and doing other hazardous tasks, such as walking in the street while on their device. Many a car crash occurred because of this and yet people still attempted the task. 

It's dangerous and could ruin someone's perfect record. It was without excuse. 

Of course, before "They" showed up. 

No one knew what they were called, so we just called them "They." As there wasn't much of a good name for them, as we hadn't seen any of their kind, we just called them "They." 

I met Tobais in the garage where I found him getting wood ready for the bonfire that night. After graduation tonight, Marcie and Matthew, along with Tobais and myself, were supposed to have a bonfire together out by Tobais' old property in the middle of nowhere. Now, It was just going to be Tobais and me. 

Maybe. 

We might stay here to make sure Marcie and Matthew don't get into trouble. There were so few people left here, and at some point, we might be the only ones left. 

That's why we have to be cautious. 

A loud bang broke me away from my thoughts. 

"Stella! Matthew and Marcie are trying to escape!" Tobais exclaimed.