Chapter 1

Getting dragged to a party is the worst. I mean why would I want to get drunk at 10 o’clock at night and have people pretty much dancing on top of me. I guess you could say I’m not your typical 17-year-old girl. I’m not really a fan of all the tight, short dresses and pounds of makeup girls think they need to wear just to impress a bunch of drunken boys.

My best friend Brenna had to carry me to this party. Literally. I refused to get out of the car, when I saw all the people that were here. I mean why would I agree to even come to this party. Oh yeah that’s right. I lost a bet to Brenna.

Right now it’s about midnight and I lost Brenna right when we entered the clustered house. I was making my way through the crowds of people to what I think is the bathroom, but probably wrong.

I pushed through the multiple couples sucking face. And reached for the handle on the door. I twisted the knob and walked into the dark room. I frantically searched the wall for a light switch.

When I finally found the switch I slammed the door behind me, muting the sounds from outside the room. I closed my eyes enjoy the peace and quiet.

I opened my eyes and stared at myself in the mirror.

I chuckled at my appearance. My eyes had dark eyeliner along the top and bottom of my eyelids. I had on a tight navy blue dress that showed more of my thigh than I normal would wear. And my dirty blonde hair was swept to the side, covering my shoulder.

I let out a sigh, and rolled my eyes at my own reflection. “I hate parties.” I repeated to myself for the hundredth time tonight. I sat down on the edge of the bathtub, and took out my phone sending a text to Bren.

Where are you? Are you ready to go, it’s past midnight.

I yawned, while I scrolled through my phone looking for something to preoccupy myself.

I checked the time again. 12:30. “Ugh.” I was so frustrated with Brenna. Why was this the deal if I lost again? Ugh. I stood up, straightening out my dress. I walked out of the bathroom and headed towards the music, figuring that is where Brenna would most likely be.

I looked at all the dancing people. Grinding on top of each other. No sign of Brenna.

 * *

I eventually gave up looking for her, I had a headache from loud music and the lights, so I headed for the large back door that had just about no one near it.

When I stepped outside, I immediately became cold, due to the fact that we live in Boston. I debated on whether or not to go back inside, but I rather be freezing my ass off than inside with a bunch of drunk teenagers.

I started to walk father out into the yard of whoevers house this is. I stopped when I saw a swing set, and decided to sit down on one of the swings.

I started swinging back-and-forth, getting lost in my thoughts. I can’t believe Brenna would just ditch me like this. It is the first week of summer, and what? She ditches me at some shit of a party. I cannot wait till I’m home. I hate being around so many people. Especially strangers.

I suddenly stop swinging when I notice a shadow coming from the back porch.

“Hello?”

I squinted towards the shadow walking towards me. “Who’s there?” I let out a scared chuckle, while moving my hand in front of the bright light on the porch.

A young guy walks to the swing beside me and sits down. He was twiddling his fingers, while starring at his shoes.

“Sorry if I, uh, ruined your little getaway.” The mystery guy asks me, while looking at me. “I just had to get out of there.” I let out a soft chuckle, and began to swing again.

“I know what you mean. I couldn’t take it anymore.” I breathed out, letting my hands grip onto the sides of the child-sized swing. The mystery guy started to swing too.

After a minute or two, it turned into us trying to swing higher than each other. “You can’t beat me!” I yelled over to the guy. “Oh, oh don’t be so sure.” The mystery guy chuckled. “Both jump off. Okay.” I asked turning towards the guy. “One.” He began. “Two.” I breathed out. Clutching onto the ropes. “Three!” We both yelled letting go of the swing and landing onto the ground.

The mystery guy landed under me, thankfully. “You broke my fall, however will I repay you?” I laughed out, pushing my body up off of his and brushing my long hair out of my face.

“Tell me your name?” He asked me giving me a smile, while sitting up and resting his hands behind him. “Haddie.” I said returning the smile.

“Well, Haddie. I’m Michael.” He said giving me nudge with his shoulder.

* *

We both sat in a casual silence for a while. Enjoy each other’s company.

Michael broke the silence by asking.

“Why did you come to the party tonight?”

I let out a sigh, biting my inside lip.

“Kind of forced. How about you?” I asked tilting my head to the side to see the outline of his face. “Weird.” Michael stated. I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

“What do you mean ‘weird’?” I questioned Michael. “I was forced to come tonight, too.”

I smiled. “Hate parties too?”

He chucked at me. “Fucking despise them.”