Lifting the Shadows

“”HOLD THE LIFT ,,,PLZZZZZZZZ”””

Ahhhhhhh ,,,, I can recognize this voice even in my dreams, what is she still doing at office, she was not at her desk when I just left. Its only to avoid facing her that I planned to leave the office so late but now….

His hand automatically went on the lift button,,,, may be it was the reflex action of many months now, isn’t this her habit to wait for him and then come running towards the lift to share these last few precious moments of the day together. She always gives some lame excuse for being late,, but he knows the real reason  (a small knowing smile formed on his face).

But he hadn’t expected her to do the same today after his behaviour of last few days. For last three days , she is going home so early. With this thought, the smile vanished from his face . Just then, she entered.
((Ahhhhh,,,,,,,, she is still smelling so good after a long day of work,, her breeze is so distinct and fresh any time of the day. But,,, shittt man ,she is so much angry with me, these shocked expressions of catching me in the lift are of course not of happiness.(ufff I hate myself right now))).

Riya entered the lift and was taken aback.
((Why can’t I  remember the time when I started working on something. I should have left early like I am purposely doing for last three days but I totally lost the record of time and now Maanav will think that as a routine thing of us, I had planned this lift encounter too.))

Riya kept looking down and planned to do so till the next 1 or 2 mins of lift journey.

Maanav understood by now that riya has gone into her silent zone and he very well knew that how obnoxious she becomes in this mode. He will have to start the conversation one day or another bcoz she can persist for generations in this mode. So, he decided to start it today only. This sudden proximity with her has lifted up his mood and he was abruptly feeling wary of all this sadness hanging between them. He made an instant pledge to himself to make it normal with riya again.

“”HEY””

He initiated.

She instantly looked up at him and forced a formal smile of acknowledgment.

(Ahhhhh ….how am I going to do this .I feel so guilty ,,some day or another I will have to face maanav and ofcourse will have to converse too and then the topic will lead  to my mistake with that horrible assignment .I know he will never question me or anything but his eyes will ofcourse do and then I will feel so ashamed. The best move right now is to keep looking down and assess the lift floor and hey, I will have to take class of sweeper tomorrow , this lift floor is so dirty).

“RIYA,WHEN ARE U PLANNING TO UTTER A WORD TO ME AGAIN”

((((Shit, the horrible man has already started his mental games with me. Why the hell he understands me so well. If I look into his eyes then will he understand that despite of feeling horrendously guilty, I want to punch him too for giving me such a cold shoulder for last three days. No,I wont answer….urghhhhhhh)))

“ITS NOTHING LIKE THAT MR. MOHAN,I AM VERY MUCH RESPONDING”.

((WHATTTTT,,,,,,,,now I am Mr. Mohan….where the hell did that MAANAV went,,ahhhh It always sounds like soft silk when she says my name. WHYYYY RIYA……oh noooooooo))))

The silence took over again.

BOOOM…..IT WENT ALL DARK AND LIFT STOPPED.

A sudden terror ran down riya’s spine and she impulsively squeaked
“”MAANAV””

She was so much scared of the dark. Maanav very well knew the fact even if he has never asked the reason from riya for this intensity of her scare. Their hands searched each other in the dark and the moment maanav got hold of riya’s hands, he pulled her into a caring hug.

“ITS OK RIYA,,,DON’T BE AFRAID,ITS JUST A MOMENTARY MALFUNCTION I SUPPOSE,ELECTRICITY WILL BE BACK AGAIN AND LIFT WILL START.
“I AM HERE FOR YOU ,PLEASE DON’T BE SACRED”

Riya was trembling by now and maanav tightened his hold. Maanav started caressing her back to soothe her down. They kept standing like this and Maanav never wanted to break the moment but then he knew that he needed to call down to the security men

“RIYA,,,,LET ME JUST TRY TO CHECK IF PHONE IS WORKING,,,I AM HERE ONLY”.

Maanav caringly pushed Riya into a left side hug and started searching with his right hand for the lift phone. Just then the electricity was back and lift started again.

Riya got back her senses and understood the way she was standing. She pushed back a little and tried to break the hold. Maanav didn’t let her go. Riya looked questioningly at him and he looked back at her with a naughty glint in his eyes  and said

“YOU KNOW WHAT RIYA.I AM VERY MUCH THANKFUL TO THIS LIFT TODAY.ATLEAST I AM BACK TO BEING “MAANAV” “.

Their eyes met and both laughed together.

The shadows have been lifted ,THANKS TO THE LIFT.

P.s. For those who have read my #Shivika FF  this is no way inspired by tht..I wrote this one ages before tht story..it can be said to be vice versa thou* haha!!