Chapter 1

I stand in the window of my newest house, dreading the next hour. Every house is different, as are every set of parents that come with the house. Some will actually give you some space, some are very clingy and want to talk to you about everything, and some won't leave you alone. But this set of parents is different from any I've ever had. Hopefully this won't be a bad thing.

"Lovelle!" I hear my name called from the front of the house. Honestly I'm startled, being called instead of escorted was different as well.

"Yes?" I answer back.

"Come to the living room, darling." the mother is the one calling my attention. I can't recall any of their names. I don't read the papers and information I'm supposed to on the family. I go in completely blindsided.

I walk through their Victorian style home, surprised to see the whole family in the living room. There's a Victorian couch in the middle of two Victorian rockers. I feel so miss placed.

Standing there, uncomfortable and awkward, they all watch me for a moment. I swallow and they sense my discomfort.

"Have a seat." the mother offers me a seat next to her on the couch.

She has long black hair, all one length, her eyes are just as black. The father is actually handsome, short black hair, yet long enough to spike up slightly. In addition to the strange parents, are two strange children. I feel them watch me as I sit down, and I don't like how their gazes land on my skin. The boy is about the same age as me, tall, skinny, and in favor of his father, handsome. The sister is chunky, but not noticeable for most people. All together, they're a good looking family.

"It is Lovelle, isn't it?" the woman asks.

"Yes. Most people call me Elle though." I say softly, letting my words echo through their house.

"I told you." the girl says loudly. I look at her. "She never reads the papers on you." on me? I thought to myself, but just nod with a small smile in return.

"Forgive me." the mother said. She sounded sarcastic, but I wasn't sure.

"I'm Amalie." the girl smiles widely, locking eyes with me.

"Hi." I answer, letting a small smile fall on my lips.

"This is Felix, and that's Rex, and she's Rye." the little girl blurts and points at every family member before finally shutting her mouth.

"It's nice to meet all of you." I lock eyes with Felix, the boy. Finding it hard to look away, I decide I have to stay expecially distant to him.

They smile at me, but I don't hear anyone say anything else. Rex, the father, looks at me. He can tell I'm about to ask a question, but I don't know what he's expecting.

"May I go for a walk?" I ask, holding Rex's eyes on accident.

"Of course." Rex smiles. Something about him intimidates me.

"Would you like an escort?" Felix stands up, offering. I blink a few times and accept.

"Sure."

We start out walking, and he guides the way. For a while it was fine just walking with him, following behind and trying to step where he stepped. Then he decides he wants to walk parallel to me, and walks too close.

"So are you a foster kid too?" I ask, waiting for him to answer.

"No, they're biologically mine." he smiles at me, but I stop looking at him before he turns.

"Cool. How many foster kids have you had here?" I find it nice to be the one asking the questions. Usually they're hounding answers out of me.

"I think your the third one. We haven't had too many." he answers, looking over at me again.