Just a Sunrise

The tamales, as always, were delicious. Héctor, as always, was the most polite and most handsome person at the table. Mama and papa, as always, were asking and asking and asking about you and Héctor, though most questions were directed towards Héctor.

You left the table as soon as you could, otherwise you knew you'd gain twice your weight in grandma's cooking. Héctor followed quickly with an excuse you didn't catch.

"So what was that about me being too skinny, Héctor?" You asked smugly.

"That's how they always feed you? Ay, ay, ay, I thought that was only special occaisions!"

You shook your head "Nope! Mama says I'm too skinny for farm work so she's been getting me to eat more. Put on muscle and fat or whatever."

Héctor laughed and sweeped you into a tight hug, which you happily slid into. His warm chest, arms around you, a smell of food and dust and hay. A calm moment. A warm and together and happy moment.

"Hooooolaaaa, Y/N? You there?"

His face was right. Against. Yours. You could feel his breath on your cheek. The hair on your neck standing on edge.

"S.. sí. Here. Present. Y/N has landed back on earth." You smiled.

"Ah, good, but have you really? You don't seem to notice the beautiful sunset or how I carried you allll the way to a lovely hill to see it."

He had. The view was beautiful. Reds and orange and purples painted the sky, the sun now barely visible behind fields of color. The grass had darkened with the light you lost, but you'd barely even noticed, so focused on Héctor.

What about Imelda, your mind whispered. What about your best friend? What about how she loves him? What would you tell her? Oh yes, Imelda, sorry, but I'm dating the man you've loved for years! Yet, there you were with him on Dia de los Muertos instead of actualy being with your family.

"Y/N?"

"Héctor?"

"How come you've been slooowwly moving closer to me the whole time we've been sat down?"

"We were sitting?"

You looked down. You were sitting. Your head was against his shoulder, your hand was on his leg, his arm was around your shoulders, his hand in your messy hair.

He laughed heartily and squeezed your shoulder tightly. You looked up at him. His beautiful eyes. His gorgeous smile. His perfect laugh and his messy hair.

"Sooo.. I was wonderring.. What are your thoughts on burros?" His smile was wide as ever as he asked.

"Burros? Well, some are sweet and lovely and some are terrible evil beasts. Why?"

He looked away for a moment "You always
call me a burro.."

"You're on the nice end."

"Gracias.." He chuckled, rubbing his neck lightly "Another question?"

You nodded.

"Would you like to go to dinner with me sometime?"

|| A/N I'M SORRY THIS IS SO SHORT BUT I'M TIRED AND I HAVE TO GET UP EARLY BUT I HOPE TO MAKE UP FOR IT IN A VERY VERY NICE DINNER WITH HÉCTOR AND ACTUAL MENTION OF IMELDA I SWEAR YOU'LL GET THE PROMISED DRAMA FJSMCIDMX ||