Chapter Three - Under The Tree

"Where are we going?" She protests as I drag her out towards the back field.

"Just out of everywhere." I answer her hand still in mine.

We reach the tree in the corner of the back field. The wind is blowing strongly, forcing the thick branches on the tree to sway.

"Are you okay?" I question sitting her down on the tree.

"Does it look like I'm ok!" She huffs. "Oh. I'm so sorry. I'm just not in a good mood today. I didn't mean it like that."

"What are you apologizing for?" I ask

"I'm sorry for yelling at you." It was hardly a yell. In her soft voice it was more like a delicate whisper, with a little anger.

"No it's fine. You're aloud to yell when you feel like this." I debate.

"I just can't do this any more!" she yells mad at the world.

"Look it okay, it's all going to..."

"How do you know. You don't know what I'm going through." She interrupts.

"I know but..."

"Just don't. Why are you even talking to me? Why is the popular hot player talking to me, the shy nerdy new girl?"

"First of all I'm not a player, I've never had a girlfriend before. Secondly why wouldn't I want to talk to the most beautiful girl in the world."

She picks her head up from her already re soaked palms. Her cheeks are bright red I don't know if it's from all the tears or if she's blushing at my comment. "Thanks." she says in the most innocent way possible.

"Look" I say starring into her blue eyes. I clasp her arms in my hands pulling her up to her feet. "You are right I don't know what you are going through but I promise I would like to know and help. Never give up because every thing will be okay in the end. If its not okay it's not the end."

I pull her into my chest letting her tears stain my shirt. "Why are you so wonderful?" she questions sounding completely oblivious to her beauty.

"Crap" I complain just as the bell rings. "I have to go to class sorry. Umm can we like continue this later?"

"Yeah sure. Thanks for all of this."

"I promised to help my mate at lunch, but how about on the bus on the way home?"

"Yeah" I'll see you then she says. Almost with I smile curling onto her lips.

All day I trudge through my classes wishing it were time to go home. Until lunch when Matt meats me at our usual spot under the tree.

"What's the problem?" I ask.

"Maths the problem."

"That sucks mate, and how did you expect me to help with that?" He knows I suck at maths. But he is in a lower class then me. Still I don't expect to be able to help him.

"It's just a little algebra."

"Just? Algebra?"

"Haha. Yeah common mate, just give it a shot."

"I'm not meant to be doing your homework for you, just helping you understand how to do it."

"Yeah yeah I know."

"Why didn't you just ask your teacher?"

"Cuz I got Mr Cameron."

Everyone knows Mr Cameron. He know as the creepy maths teacher. Once he promised if the whole class brought there equipment he would do a handy stand. They did, so so did he. Some kid filmed it and put it on YouTube. It's already got like fifty thousand hits. He hasn't done it again because of that. But it doesn't stop him from bring strange in many other ways.

"Okay, I'll try to help but I can't promise anything."

All lunch I waste my time attempting his homework. And I'm relived when the bell finally rings to free me.

Again I have to go through another painful hour of boringness in English. Although it wasn't to bad since we are doing media studies we just watched the start of 'The Great Gatsby'.

We're still watching it by the time the bell rings. The students file out of the class not waiting for their dismissal. I also rush out into the door jam. Excited to see Ellie.

I walk on the bus with still only one strap on my shoulder to see Ellie sitting in my normal set head phones in her ears.

"Hey," I greet walking up. "Ellie?"

She looks up she obviously hadn't herd me the first time.

"Hi," she replies giving a week smile still showing some pain from earlier on.

"What are you listening too?"

"Try by Pink, it's my favorite at the moment."

"Cool, I like that song, can I join?"

"Yeah sure." She passes my one of the ear phones and I slip it into my ear.

"So how was your day at school?" I attempt to make small talk.

"Not great. to be honest it could have been a lot better."

The bus starts up with a jolt and growl but quietness down as we get moving.

"So where did you move from?"

"I came down from Nelson. My mums job wanted her here so we all came."

"Oh cool. Are you enjoying it here in Christchurch?"

"Yeah it okay, but I miss home and all my friends back up there."

"Yeah I understand."

The song changes to by my side. One of my personal all time favorites. At lest I know she has good music taste.

"Thanks so much for be such a friend." She says resting her head down on my shoulder and closing her eyes. I can see her lips moving to sing the song. A slight whisper comes out as she sings the chorus.

I'm about to lay my head on top of hers. When I realize this is her stop. Sadly I wake her from her day dream.

"Ellie, Ellie."

"What?" She mumbles half asleep. She must of had a hard day.

"It's your stop."

"Oh yeah, whoops."

I stand up letting her slide out past me and handing her her other earphone.

"Thanks" Shy smiles at me just as she leaves the bus.

I sit back down disappointed at the un comfort I feel without her. I felt like we fitted together. Almost like it was meant to be. Even though the bus only just left her behind a minute a go, I feel like I need her comfort again, like I already miss her. I wonder does she feel the same pain I feel without her. Does she miss me?