New York

ABEER:
Our plane landed at New York and after getting clearance of our luggage, me and Aamna stepped out of the exit into the city of skyscrapers with stars glinting above our heads in the dark, night sky.
"Welcome ladies", Sahir, whom I had seen and recognized just a few moments after coming out, said, stopping a few inches away from us as his driver took our luggage.
"I am really glad that the both of you came", he said guiding us towards the car in the parking lot.
"You had insisted so much that it seemed to be impolite if we did not come", Aamna said and he just passed a smile.

"So are the wedding preparations finished?", Aamna asked as the driver drove the car out of the airport.
"Almost. But you know, such preparations are like.... Never ending",  he said pressing the mobile against his ear and informed someone that the guests had arrived and gave some other instructions before hanging up.
"Seems like you are busy. You could have sent the driver to receive us. In fact, we could have taken a taxi", Aamna said.
"Of course I could have sent the driver but the hospitality rules say that special guests require special treatment", he said.
"And who's the one special from the two of us. Me or Abeer?", she asked in a meaningful tone with a smile playing across her lips and I, who had been listening to their conversation while looking out of the window, turned towards Aamna with a jerk and cast her a disapproving look.
"Sahir did Kashish like the dress?", I asked in an attempt to change the topic and reduce the awkwardness.
"Yeah. In fact, she loved it", he said and I could feel him relieved as he cast a thankful glance on me in the rearview mirror.
To avoid any such awkward moments again, he busied himself with the phone calls until the car came to a halt in front of a modernly designed and well planned building.
"So here we are", he said before the three of us stepped out.
"This will be your residence for the next three days", he said as we entered through the glass double doors.
"I am literally tired to my bone", Aamna said as we entered into the lounge.
Sahir took the electronic key cards from a uniformed staff member and led us towards the elevator.
"Take rest and feel yourself completely at home. I want you to be fresh and enjoy the wedding to its full", Sahir said as the elevator moved up.
"Your luggage will be delivered shortly", he informed as we walked through the silent corridor.
"Thank you so much Sahir", Aamna said as he held the key before the card reader to be identified.
"No need", he said.
"Aamna", he addressed her as she entered through the now open door. She turned around.
"If you don't mind, can I take Abeer out with me for a while?", he asked.
Aamna's gaze turned from him to me and then back to him.
"Of course you can. In fact, this sounds a bit strange of you to ask for my permission but please just make sure that you take good care of her this time", she said and the meaning underlying the last few words didn't remain hidden from me.
A shadow crossed his face but the very next instant, I found it replaced with a smile.
"Seems like you haven't forgiven me about that yet Aamna but I'd ensure that no such thing happens this time. In fact, if you want, then you can come with us too", he said.
"No, No... There's no need to be serious. I was just kidding", she said and after an exchange of a few more sentences, the both of us left.
"Did you mind what Aamna said?", I asked clutching the seat belt as he turned the key in the ignition.
"Not at all",he said.
"And she told us that she was just joking", he said turning towards me.
"You and I both know that it wasn't a joke. It was my fault. Maybe I over reacted that day but I was really scared", I said looking straight ahead.
He turned towards me, focusing his eyes on the side of my face that he could see. I tried to ignore that for a while but then, I finally turned around.
"What?", I asked.
"Seriously Abeer? Forget about it now. It was just.......something that was meant to happen and yeah, it was my fault so stop blaming yourself about it. If people are taunting me about it, I really don't care", he said, not giving me the slightest chance to speak and when he stopped, an awkward silence clung between us.
"Well, I am taking you to meet Kashish", he said after a while.
"That'd be great", I said, trying to sound excited about it.
"I can't tell you that how eager she is to meet you. Unluckily, I told her that you are coming today and she has nearly eaten off my ears since morning by asking the time of your arrival again and again", he said and I just smiled.
We continued to talk for the rest of the drive until he drove the car in through a stoned pathway that led to a beautiful mansion and for a while, I remembered the night Asad Sanjarani had driven me into his home.
On our way in, we stopped by a guy who was heading outside. His eyes were identical to those of Sahir.
"Abeer this is the groom to be and my elder brother Sahil Afridi", Sahir introduced us to each other.
"Hello", I said.
"Hi. Its nice to finally see you", he said with a smile.
"I've been hearing a lot about you from both Sahir and Kashish. By the way, thanks for coming", he said with genuine gratitude.
"Pleasure's all mine", I replied.
He gave me a brotherly smile, the one Kabir back at home used to give me and then turned towards Sahir.
"You are working a lot Bro but still it feels like that I am the busiest ever groom. Still need to go and pick my dress for tomorrow from the designer. See you guys later", he said and then left.
There was quite hustle and bustle inside the lounge as several people from the crew rushed here and there, holding trays laden with flowers, fruits and other things.
Kashish, who sat with fashion magazines perched around her on the sofa, stood up watching us arrive and covered the distance between us as a smile stretched her lips.
"Abeer", she said opening her arms to embrace me in an affectionate hug.
"Its such a pleasant surprise to know that you recognized me", I said freeing myself of her embrace.
"Well..Sahir showed me a picture of you", she said.
"Which picture of me do you have?", I asked turning towards Sahir because I couldn't remember taking any pictures together.
"Well, its the one of you and Asad from the hiking trip. The IT department chose to post it on the University's website with some other pictures and that is now among the top hits. Can you imagine 18,577 likes in one day!", he spoke and I remembered the photograph.
"By the way Abeer, I loved the dress. It was more gorgeous than the one that I had ordered to my designer", Kashish said.
"Thanks", I said with a smile.
"You know when Sahir brought that dress, I thought that my brother's choice in fashion has improved but when he told me about you and showed me you picture, I realized that it was his choice in friends that had upgraded", she said and I just blushed.
"First of all, stop buttering her so much.... And are we going to keep standing here like this? Come, let's sit", Sahir said.
"I am not buttering her and By the way, I have a meeting with the florist because I have planned some additions for tomorrow's floral decorations", Kashish said.
"Abeer would you believe that this is like the tenth time she is making an addition to the decoration initially selected by me and Sahil", Sahir said.
"I just don't know that how has this person, in fact, this rude person, found such a sweet friend like you. Well, it was nice to meet you. Have a good time and now, Excuse me", she said throwing a mock disapproving look at Sahir and after my reply to her greetings, left.
"Do the two of you always keep bothering each other like that?", I asked from Sahir as we walked further in.
"Almost....its sort of fun", he said and I just smiled.
"Is it the same between you and your brother?", he asked.
"Well, Kabir is more like the 'protective big brother' but yes we used to have fights. We fought with pillows, for the television remote, over snacks, for sleeping with Mom in her room when Dad wasn't home and then.....we grew up", I said.
"Its hard to imagine you like that", he said opening the heavy oak door, towards the back of the mansion into the backyard that was adorned with lots of flower pots and vines going up and down. The place felt silent and pleasant against the rush inside.
There, I met his father, who sat on one of the comfy chairs, discussing business details with one of his friends. After the exchange of a few pleasant sentences, he asked me to stay over for dinner and then advised Sahir to take care that I was met with full hospitality.

As the both of us walked through the corridor on the second floor and he asked me about my time at the University during the last week, I stopped before a larger than life picture of a woman in her forties, attracted by her elegance and the beauty...

As the both of us walked through the corridor on the second floor and he asked me about my time at the University during the last week, I stopped before a larger than life picture of a woman in her forties, attracted by her elegance and the beauty of a Greek goddess.
"Who's this beautiful lady?", I finally asked after having noticed her in several silver framed pictures that filled the walls.
"Mom", he told.
"Are you taking me to meet her?", I asked turning around but the smile on my lips faded after looking at the first sign of human weakness that I had ever noticed on Sahir's face. I could see his memories thudding down on him along with the simple mention of that name and I felt oddly guilty.
"No. She's not here", he said looking at the picture and I felt him in a trance because his voice seemed to come from a faraway place.
"I am sorry to disturb you Sir but the caterer has been waiting for you in the living room since the last half hour", one of the uniformed servants came and informed him.
"Tell him that I'll see him in a few minutes", he said as if a fog that had formed around his brain just broke and then turned towards me.
"I really need to listen to the caterer", he said apologetically.
"That's alright", I said.
"Come then. I'll drop you over with Kashish. She'd probably be done with her meeting", he said.
"No. I think I should get going", I said.
"But you are supposed to stay over for dinner", he said.
"Actually, I just received a text from Aamna. She needs me to get back. I hope your father would excuse me for that", I politely declined his offer with the lie that had just sprung up in my head.
"He'll surely understand. So.....shall I send you back with the driver?"I hope you won't mind", he asked.
"Of course. There's no problem", I said and then he sent me back to the hotel. I had wanted to ask him that where was his mother but he had looked so vulnerable and beaten at the simple mention of her name that I dropped off the question, deciding to ask about it from Aamna but she herself found my description of Sahir's behaviour odd, telling me that she didn't know about it so I finally chose to leave it the way it was.