Ripples

Young Justice is not mine.

~~~

Ripples

"You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water."

- Rabindranath Tagore

~~~

GOTHAM CITY

"You are the hero Gotham deserves, Nightfall."

A mischievous smirk stretched across her thin lips, blue eyes glistening in the moonlight as brown locks swayed in the breeze. The girl wasn't fazed by the comment as she turned to face the caped crusader, who wore a defeated expression as he stared out at what once was his city.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

"I was wondering when you were going to come to your senses, Batman." Nightfall brushed the hero off and stepped around him to crouch down on a ledge, eyes flickering over the quiet city below.

Behind her, Batman grumbled quietly to himself. It was hard for a man of his nature to admit this fourteen year old hero was a superior hero to himself, and it took his young protégé's input to help him realize it.

Yes, Robin had agreed shortly after meeting Nightfall that she was the one that was going to make Gotham a better place. In fact, he had relinquished his role as Robin to the girl, handing over his cape and utility belt in the process. And now the young hero sported the gifted cape and utility belt proudly alongside her own hero garb.

"I relinquish my-"

"Kayanna."

Nightfall blinked as she turned to face the Dark Knight, who looked as equally confused as her. With a shake of her head, she urged, "I'm sorry, you were saying?"

"I was saying that, I relinq-"

"Kayanna!"

There it was again!

Nightfall spun around in a circle and shouted to the sky, "Okay, who's there?" The world around her began to shift and crumble, Gotham fading into the distance as Batman dissolved right before her eyes and the girl felt anxiety bubble up from within herself as darkness closed in on her.

"Kayanna, wake up this instance!"

Wake up? I am awake! Batman's giving me his city-

"Kayanna!

And the next thing the girl knew, she was soaking wet.

She shot up with a cry of shock, blue eyes wide, as she spluttered, "B-Batman, I accept your city!"

Koda quirked an unamused brow as he let out a deep sigh, watching as his daughter slowly put two and two together as to where she was and why she was suddenly drenched with water. Kayanna rubbed at her eyes, shaking off some of the water in the process before her lips quirked up in sheepish smile as she faced her father, who looked less than please.

"H-hi dad..."

"What do you think you're doing?"

Yeah, he was definitely annoyed. The vein in his forehead was most definitely throbbing!

Kayanna stood up from the bench, stretching slightly and doing her best to avoid her father's annoyed gaze, "Resting my eyes?"

"We were on a quick break, Kayanna, not nap time."