Chapter 8

Dead.
That's what we were all going to be.
Starting with the man talking to Jared Pommel.
I should've made Jay stay behind. She's not used to this kind of thing. I knew what was coming as Jared reached for his gun, hidden at his side.
“You let the Americans get away! You worthless idiot! You will pay, your life for theirs!”
I pulled Jay close to my side, hoping to shield her from seeing what was sure to happen.
“Look away,” I whispered again urgently.
Her deep blue eyes stared up into mine as the shot rang out. Terror filled her eyes. Jay jerked as if she was the one who had been shot and nearly screamed. I quickly covered her mouth and silenced her. He looked our way. His anger changed into a cold and calculating glare. I uttered one command to Jay as I ducked down behind a stack of wooden crates.
“Run.”

                                          ~~~

I glared at Jeremy and pulled out my gun. There was no way that I would leave him here to fight off this monster alone. A man who clearly had murder on his mind.
Jeremy shot another anxious glance at me as he fired off a warning shot. The other man returned fire. Bullets splintered the crates around us. I ducked as the spray of sharp shards of wood flew in my direction. I felt something nick my cheek, but paid no mind to it. Instead I watched as the man came closer and closer towards Jeremy. I knew he would never fire a killing shot. Not even in defense. I bit my lip and leveled my gun. Neither would I, but we needed a distraction. While the man was focused on Jeremy, I slowly and strategically went behind another stack of crates in the corner. Jeremy gave me a look that said 'what on God's green earth are you doing' but I ignored his worried glance and continued maneuvere around the crates.
  I took aim with my gun when I found a good spot and fired off a round at the ceiling. The echoes made it seem as if we had more than just Jeremy and me here. The man was caught off guard and he lowered his gun, and looked in all directions.
  Jeremy lunged and tackled him to the ground. The struggle seemed to last forever, when in reality,  it was probably just a few seconds when the gun went off again.
I cried out when Jeremy fell still underneath the man. The man started to move and I cowered into the shadows. I didn't know what to do, so I fired my gun. A spurt of blood came from the man's shoulder. I covered my mouth. But had no time to curl up and cry so I ran and moved the unconscious man away from Jeremy. I cried out Jeremy's name, but he wouldn't wake up. I almost freaked out, but calmed myself and checked his pulse. His face was pale, but he was alive. Blood covered Jeremy's shirt, making it hard to find the wound, but I found it on his shoulder only inches from his heart. My fingers trembled.
“Oh, dear God, help me!” I cried quietly. Suddenly Jerod began to stir. Afraid, I dragged Jeremy behind some boxes.
The smuggler got up slowly, clutching his wound. I watched cautiously as he cursed every step. Without any thought about who shot him, he walked out the door. I sat there for a second to make sure he was gone. I looked at Jeremy’s pale face.
How on earth am I gonna get him out of here? I thought. Then I face palmed.
I tapped my watch and called Drake.
All he got out was,”Hello-”
“Drake, Jeremy's down. I need help! We're at the same coordinates Jeremy sent you. Please, please hurry.” I finished desperately.
“Jay, stay calm.” His voice was full of worry. ”Jeremy needs you to be strong. I'm on my way.” I nodded though he could not see me and hung up as Jeremy began to wake up.
He groaned. When he opened his eyes, he seemed struggling to focus. He gritted his teeth and his hand went to his shoulder. But I quickly grabbed it.
“Jeremy.”I whispered soothingly. “Jeremy, just leave it. You've got a bullet in your shoulder and rubbing it won't help.”
Finally his eyes focused.
“Jay,"He gasped. "Are you hurt?”He grunted. I shook my head in bewilderment and smiled in spite of our predicament.
“No. I'm not hurt. I called Drake. He's on his way. Can you help me get you to the car?” He nodded. I helped him stand and we started the slow trek to the parking lot. He had lost a lot of blood and was very weak so I was doing most of the work. But all I was worried about was making sure he got home alive.
  We made it to the car just as Drake arrived. Jeremy lost consciousness when we got in the back of the car. I sat next to him in the back seat holding his hand with tears streaming down my face. His head rested on my shoulder. Drake looked back at us several times to make sure we were still okay.
This is all my fault. Was my repeated thought. I buried my face in his thick hair.

💮Author's note💮
Man, I am on a role with these cliffhangers!😂 So, this was a shorter chapter than I usually do, but I wanted to make the ending dramatic.;) 
What do y'all think?  Please comment because I love hearing from you! And if you would please vote that would be a great encouragement to me!
I love you all! Thanks and God bless!😄😄😃❤❤❤