❁ three

My heart began racing the moment I stepped out of the plane. It felt surreal that I was actually out of the UK for the first time in my life and there was a whole world out here waiting for me. LAX airport was magneficently huge, as I noticed people rushing all over the place, some carrying huge luggage, others checking in their flights, and little kids ran around with their little cartoon suitcases screeching in excitement as a cacophony of noises blurred into distance of the vast space of the airport.

After I had gotten the border control and the luggage collection out of the way, I glanced around the perimeter of my surroundings looking for signs, to where exactly I was about to go next. The smell of burning jet fuel and automobile exhaust lingered in the air with the fresh smell of polished metal. Hot tarmac combined with the mix to assault my senses with images of exotic escapes and the kind of freedom that can only come from airports. The sophisticated airport lighting was beautiful and it was that type of lighting that made you feel a buzz of excitement of what the summer was going to bring you. I felt the thrum of the engines at takeoff and the vibration of the plane during the flight still in my skin, and it seemed like it wasn't going to leave for a long time.

I recognized a few fancy prancy shops that caught my eye, and no I wasn't talking about the Tesco or Primark type no, this was Urban outfitters and Abercrombie & Fitch and a few others I wasn't able to be familiar with. The smell of rich perfume, Popcorn and Salmon sandwiches were wafting up my nostrils which also wasn't helping due to the fact that my stomach was grumbling aggressively and I only had a couple of british sterling pounds in my pocket. The sudden hunger reminded me that I needed to stop wasting time and find the Baggage area quick. The whir of wheels on shiny reflected marble and concrete mixed floors stirred in my head. The mechanical auto-repeated voice on the public address system calling for a late passenger to go to their closing gate, or announcing that flight 479 is now boarding at gate 16 screeched from the speakers around me making me somehow rush more even thoughI had no flights to attend.

Arrivals Hall flashed on the sign in front of me caught the corner of my eye showing me that it was just round the corner. Underneath the functional surface inside me was an undercurrent of anticipation and hunger as I hear snippets of conversation from people passing me on their way towards wherever they were going.

My father had called earlier to let me know that he had ordered a cab to collect me from the airport. No matter how much I dreaded seeing his face, my stomach plummeted. being honest I was expecting him to be the first person I see at the airport but It wasn't going to be like that for whatever reason.

As soon as I made it to the Arrival hall, I peered into the distance of the crowd with rows of smartly dressed businessmen holding up placards of names and flight numbers. Great, now I have to find a stranger with my information in his hands.

I ran my eyes along the row, until a white card with Kali Santiago written in red pen along with my flight number caught my eye. It was held by a middle-aged European or what I had assumed he was, dressed in a smart tuxedo. I hauled both of my suitcases in two hands with my backpack slung over my shoulders and quickly smiled towards guy to confirm that indeed was me.

As soon as we stepped out into the airports parking lot, I felt the immense heat of the scorching Californian sun as it battered down on my bare shoulders. Getting tanned was the first on my list and that wouldn't be a problem judging by the sudden warmth that had overwhelmed me.

I pressed my forehead against the hard glass car window as the car smoothly ran along the road. I clasped onto the seatbelt tightly, a wave of sickness overwhelming me. Feeling the silver metal clasp dig into my skin, I stared out into the distance distracting myself with the stunning Californian scenery that appeared in my view from the sudden lightweight dizziness I felt in the car.