SECTION TWO: ON THE WINTER SOLDIER

The title of the section alone was enough to make the soldier tense, and it was then that he realized that this test might not help him. That it might just make things worse. That maybe remembering was less of a blessing and more of a curse. But he would keep going. The test gave the soldier hope, no matter how small, and he'd be damned if he stopped taking it now.

ARE YOU THE WINTER SOLDIER ?

This one didn't make him hesitate at first. Because he wasn't the Winter Soldier. He wasn't being controlled, he wasn't an assassin, he wasn't working for HYDRA.

And then he remembered something.

He remembered being the Winter Soldier in the Red Room, being the Winter Soldier when he was with her, and not remembering everything but being undeniably himself. He was being himself and the Winter Soldier at the same time.

God, he hadn't known that was possible.

So maybe he was that again. Maybe. That wasn't quite right though, and his head was starting to hurt, so he just answered the question.

ARE YOU THE WINTER SOLDIER ?

[   ] YES         [   ] NO          [X] MAYBE

DO YOU REMEMBER ALL THE PEOPLE YOU HAVE KILLED ?

Oh, that was easy. They were the only memories that completely stuck with him now, ones he couldn't seem to lose.

DO YOU REMEMBER ALL THE PEOPLE YOU HAVE KILLED  ?

[X] YES          [   ] NO          [   ] SOME ,  BUT NOT ALL

DO YOU WISH THAT YOU HAD DIED WHEN YOU FELL FROM THE TRAIN ?

This question makes the soldier pause for a moment.

He had thought he could answer yes easily, and there was definitely a point in his life when he could have, when he would not have hesitated. But now... He didn't really know.

But he answered anyways.

DO YOU WISH THAT YOU HAD DIED WHEN YOU FELL FROM THE TRAIN ?

[   ] YES         [   ] NO          [X] NOT SURE