chapter two

Beside the road , two goats were peacefully grazing; Dave's eyes flicked over them, barely registering their presence. Daniel___ so he'd said_had known about Mary ever since she was born, had supported her financially for her entire life, but had never been in touch with her directly or breathed a word about her existence to anyone. Through local gossip , Dave had long ago found about Daniels biological son, john, the black sheep of the family who was supposedly, Marys father. Daniel had never breathed a word about john existence either. If by any chance Mary Dacosta wasn't a fake, then she was related to Daniel by blood. As he, Dave , was not. This simple fact rankled; he resented even the possibility of Daniel having a granddaughter. Stupid of him , no doubt. But wasn't his reaction one more indication of how he'd always felt cheated of any true connection to Daniel??Dave rolled down the window , the breeze tugging at his hair. Another minute or two he will be there. The investigator's report had stated that Mary was renting a converted fish shack just past the village. He rounded a corner, and there, on the shore was a fish shack that had been turned into a small winterized cabin. Daniel wanted him to bring Mary to Banjul on the returned trip. The contrast with the fish shack was so laughable that Dave's anger jumped another level. He turned down the dirt track to the cabin. No car parked outside and no sign of life. Mary worked full_time , Tuesday to Saturday, at the local library, that much Dave knew; it was why he'd arrived well before nine on a Saturday morning. He drew up outside the cabin and climbed out his car. Waves murmured on the beach. Filling his lungs with cool salt air , Dave briefly forgot his errand in a moment of sheer pleasure.