Chapter 3: Provisional Planning

Song - Tainted Love 
~
Gloria Jones 

It was now, once again, one week later, one week since the discovery of Ally's body. And just like last week and the week before that had brought, this week was sure to bring even more confusion. More questions, and less answers. It came in the form of a kid named Drew Kraski, or perhaps Becka Taylor and Jacob Calfrey. Any of the three were as good enough as ignored throughout the rest of the investigation, at least by the police. Which is why, we decided, we couldn't trust the police. We couldn't trust Will. We couldn't trust anyone, except for ourselves.

It was also on that same week that two friends, Jacob Kalfrey and Becka Taylor, started working together. Unfortunately, their small discoveries were met with mere dead ends, at least for the moment. And today, the day of September 19th, 1985, was when we saw for the first time a glimpse of who Becka Taylor really was. Same goes for Natalia Smith and Drew Kraski, two lovers who's failed relationship would prove to be fatal.

Jacob and Becka's long-lived alliance began that day, shortly after school ended. It happened at about three 'o clock, when Becka stumbled upon the open locker of Drew Kraski, a senior with a not-so-great reputation of countless suspensions. He also happened to be Natalie Smith's boyfriend at the time of the murder, a small detail that will come into play later.

Anyway, back to the locker. Although there could have been a variety of reasons for why Becka decided to look around inside of it, she did. It could have been curiosity, or because she had heard things about Drew, or maybe she didn't even know it was his locker at all. But whatever guided her to look at the one singular note that lay in the above portion of the locker, that one document was all that she needed to see. The slip of paper that dragged us all into that mess.

Tori Hatten
Callie Hartshed
Katy Shyler
Emme Rose
Kylie Hunter
Ally Bridgewood

It was just that. A list of names. Some of the people on that list went to our school, others did not, and some I had never heard of. But what was for sure was that the last name on that list was Ally's. And that's where Jacob comes in.

It was out of complete and utter randomness, but at that exact moment Jacob came strolling down the hallway. And during that same period of time, Becka had decided to show the note to him, probably an untrustworthy allie, but then again, there was likely no one else to trust.    

So that's where a plan was hatched. Not exactly then and there, but a while later, to be more exact. They wouldn't confront Drew himself, because he plainly would not talk. Not to mention the guy was kind of a creep. So Becka Taylor and Jacob Calfrey took to the second best option instead: Natalia Smith.