Chapter 6: Featuring The Police

Song - Every Breath You Take
~
The Police

No more than three minutes after her encounter with Becka Taylor, Natalia Smith reached Ms. Gale's science room. The classroom was built in such a way that to get a full view of it, one had to round a corner branching off of the entry way. As Natalia made her way around it, she heard the door creak shut, barely emitting any sound. Her eyes grew wide and she paused in her tracks.

"Carol? Is that you?"

The lights went out.

~

As Natalia began her route to Ms. Gale's room, Becka tried her best to remain quiet, not continuing after Natalia for quite some time. She put on a tough face, but her heart was pounding. Walking towards that classroom, she rehearsed everything she and Jacob had gone over. It wasn't much of a plan, she would just confront Natalia about her boyfriend's creepy list. Jacob would be outside the classroom's door, keeping watch. He didn't particularly want to be a part of "the confrontation", as he chose to call it.

After one last glance at her partner in crime, Becka silently slid into the classroom door, carefully shutting the door until she could here a small "click". She didn't dare look behind her, and risk making a noise. But she knew if she did Jacob would be quietly watching through the windows separating the classroom from the hallway. She had in her hands Jacob's video camera, in case the need for evidence should arrive, which she set on a nearby desk. She pulled the list of names out of the back pocket of her jeans. Natalia had been still for a little while now, she no doubt had heard the door shut.

"Carol? Is that you?" Becka had forgot about Carol. Reaching over to the wall, still on her tip toes, Becka slid her finger over the light socket, watching the already flickering lights turn off one by one. The only light left in the dreary room emitted from the window to the hallway and the classroom next door.

Quietly, she walked over to where Natalia was standing, guiding her to a nearby chair. Natalia didn't say a word, but instead obeyed what was told of her to do. Gripping the sheet tightly in her hand, Becka started having second thoughts. It seemed the closer she came to finding out the truth, the less she wanted to do it. It all seemed like a sweet little fantasy at first, what her and Jacob were doing. Find the bad guy. Save the town, and be known as heroes. But that wasn't Becka's motive, and she highly doubted it was Jacob's. She had been rethinking it since that morning, actually. And in the hallway. And when she heard the door click shut. And... now.

~

Imagine a scenario, just real quick. Think of a small town, any small town. Now think of a school that's in that town. It can be a nice school, if you'd like. But appearance has no impact, because that school is corrupt. It's filled with murder suspects. And now imagine you hear sirens in the distance. A girl named Katy Shyler had called 911.           

Now imagine on the way opposite side of the school, a guy, who looks about to be seventeen or so, banging on a locked door. That guy is Jacob Calfrey, and that school is Woodsfield High.

Jacob was frantically banging on the door leading to Ms. Gale's classroom, as his school was now lit up with red and blue. They were walking targets for the police to arrest and put in jail. I mean, they had locked a girl in a teacher's classroom and forced her to talk about all of her boyfriend's misdemeanors. It sounds stupid to say, almost quite silly actually. But it wasn't a good enough reason to call the police; Jacob hoped to God it wasn't. But who knew, everyone was on edge after Ally's death.

Becka opened the door, almost in a dazed state, but at the same time her eyes were wide and terrified. Without even glancing back at Natalia, the two rushed off through the back door of the school. Jacob's house rested in a spot only a block or two away from the school, in a small clearing located in a patch of woods. They were greeted by a few dogs upon entering the small house, all of whom Jacob bent down to say hello to. Becka quietly cleared her throat, her eyes still glazed over and not quite herself.

"Do... do you want a ride home?" Jacob hadn't spoken since the incident that took place not so long ago at the school. Aside from the yelling and banging on Ms. Gale's door, that was.

Becka glanced up from the dogs, barely registering the question. "I... just, I don't really want to be alone right now..."

Jacob nodded his head, his attention still on the dogs. He didn't mention what happened at the school the rest of the night, or what was bothering Becka so much. Jacob just brushed it off as the whole police showing up situation being a bit much, but that still didn't seem right. Not to say that he wasn't a bit shaken up too.

"We don't really have a guest bedroom, if that's alright with you. I usually just sleep on the couch-"

"That's okay. I'll take the floor."

"Well, we have another couch..."

"Oh." There was a pause while Jacob tossed Becka a blanket and the both sat on their separate couches. "Jacob?"

"...yeah?"

"In that room... couldn't do it."

"Confront Natalia?"

"Yes. But there was this moment, like, I don't know, when a camera flashes in your eyes, I guess. And it takes a while for your vision to come back."

"Yeah?"

"It was like that, but with my whole body. I just- I don't know."

"Maybe... maybe it was the police lights."

There was another slight pause before Becka replied. "...maybe." After a couple more minutes of no responses, Becka softly spoke. "You don't think those police were there because of us, right?"

"No. They wouldn't come because of that, and plus, who was there to even call the police?" Jacob sounded confident in his answer, but truthfully, he wasn't so sure either. It's not like there were many other scenarios that required the police to show up at the school that night.

"Ok" was the last thing Becka said until the next morning. Jacob soon drifted off to sleep, but Becka layed wide eyed in the dark, her gaze directed at the ceiling.

And Becka was left to wonder why. Why had she opened the locker in the first place. Why she had confronted Natalia. But, that was easy. Because Becka wasn't who she said she was. Guilty. Looking to relieve her own suspicions. Becka, you see, had gone after Drew in hope of him being the killer. Because if he was, then she couldn't have been.