Chapter One

Mike Shinoda, a man with toffee skin, black hair, and brown eyes, sighed to himself as he hunched over the messy desk before him in the small studio. It was a rental on the first floor, walls a plain white, but covered in art, notes, and ideas for songs. A few guitars were hung on the wall, but most were along with their other instruments in the recording booth next to the desk that Mike hated. If it were his alone, everything would be neatly placed in his perfectionist way.

There was one window in the room, placed behind the long, black, leather couch that adorned it. Rob, a tall, sensitive drummer with brown hair and eyes, sat next to Brad and Phoenix on the large piece of furniture. Brad was the guitarist, had a curly afro, and matched most of the others' brown eyes. He was usually messing around and causing riot, which was always supported by the ginger, Phoenix, who was equally as humorous. Although the couch was quite spacious for the trio, they always tried to push each other off and insist they needed more chairs.

A table separated the couch from the two matching chairs on the other side, where Joe and Chester sat. Joe helped put a spin on their music, as well as with the art and music videos. His brown eyes always seemed tired as he tried to keep up with all of Mike's projects.

Then there was Chester, who seemed to stick out the most out of the group. With his porcelain skin and deep brown eyes, his unnaturally blond hair hair stood out and was typically gelled in punk spikes. His hair matched his clothing style, that was typically gothic or grungy, and went well his tattoos and lip piercing.

Chester and Mike spent the most time together in the studio, which made the others believe Mike knew Chester better than they did, as he was a stranger to them in the beginning. Although they've released one album so far already and toured together, they still didn't get to know him on a personal level and assumed Mike took care of that aspect. Truth is, Mike tried as hard as he could to get Chester to open up, but he wouldn't. He noticed the dark lyrics Chester put out and would try to ask him about it nonchalantly, but the scrawny man would simply shrug and half-smile it off, saying it's nothing.

Mike was currently in the only chair with wheels that was in front of the desk, tapping his blue pen against the paper, pretending to try and write lyrics, while the others talked about merchandise. He was hoping they'd give up and go away, so he could maybe get some work done with Chester, even though he knows he won't be able to focus on anything if Chester's in the room.

The two used to work really well together on lyrics with their last album, but Mike found himself unable to think of anything other than Chester since the middle of their tour. While they were spending all day, everyday, together, something inside him stirred and now he wants to do anything to get closer to the skinnier man, who has been doing nothing, but pushing everyone away since the tour ended.

"I don't know which one to choose, maybe we should pick back up on this tomorrow?" Brad suggested, which caught Mike's attention. The group were looking samples of new shirt designs to release and Mike had chosen his favorite earlier, leaving the others to decide while he spent his time thinking about Chester, pretending to work.

"Yeah, that's a good idea. It's getting late anyway," Rob agreed, as well did the others. Mike saw an opportunity and glanced at Chester, seeing he looked exhausted, but he was desperate to spend more time with him. Chester had been pushing him away and it was starting to get to him.

"Chester, wanna help me with some lyrics for awhile?" He asked, catching the attention of soft, brown eyes that flickered his direction when he spoke. He saw a small nod and was surprised Chester actually agreed as the others stood up and started saying goodbye to one another, even though Mike knew Chester actually never said no if he was asked to stay.