Chapter Nineteen

Calin allowed himself to be distracted for so long, we almost hit the ditch. Overcorrecting, we swerved to the other side of the road and then back into our lane. I showed no sign of being startled, remaining stoic as he darted his eyes between me and the road. I couldn't show fear. If he thought I knew what I was talking about, I would learn something. He could provide answers.

He opened his mouth and then closed it, sighing. With only a shoulder-check to warn me, he pulled over to the side of the road, the movement so jerky I had to grasp the door handle to keep from being jostled. The tires screeched to a stop and a cloud of dust rose to coat the exterior. He put the gear to park and turned to look at me.

"I—"

"First of all," he said, cutting me off, "I never called you Noreena Dwyer. Did I correct it? No, but only because I'm not allowed to. Don't think for a moment that I liked Devland's deception or that I didn't have words with him about it."

"But—"

"Secondly, now that you've found out on your own, I will confirm that Fallyn is your last name."

"Why h-hide that?" I stammered, confused.

He shook his head. "I can't tell you that."

"How is that fair?"

His gaze softened, and I licked my lips as he focused on my mouth for a moment longer than appropriate. Finally, he looked me in the eye. "It's not fair," he said, "but that's the way it is. I'm sorry I can't help."

I rolled my eyes and looked away. "Surprise, surprise."

"Hey." He reached out and guided my head back towards him with his thumb and pointer finger on my chin. Once my face was turned, I looked up and held his gaze as he said, "Focus on what you feel by the sign and your name. That is where your answers lie."

"I don't get it."

"You will."

"This sucks."

He dropped his hands and turned back, preparing to drive. "I know."

"I found a box of my things in Devland's office last night. I-I think it's the stuff I had with me when the accident happened."

"What?" He cleared his throat. "Why do you think that?"

"It was jewelry and my wallet and stuff. I found this. It's too waterlogged, though. I can't even turn it on."

I fingered the phone I'd been using since the accident—another lie. I placed them side-by-side on my hand and compared. One was too damaged to use and the other was tainted by dishonesty. Unrolling my window, I threw the newer version out into the field and watched as it fell. Either someone would find it and rack up Devland's phone bill, or it would rain.

Turning, I handed the ruined phone to Calin.

"So you found your name from your wallet?" He looked back at me and said nothing about the other phone. He took the old one, turning it over and over in his hands, and then held it up in the air between us. "And this is how you deduced the things you found were from your accident."

"Don't. Make fun of me." I reached for the phone, but he pulled away. "You're an ass. Why did I think telling you would be helpful?"

He studied the phone and then placed it in the middle console.

"Hey!"

"Relax," he said, placing the car in gear and pulling back onto the road. "The phone is toast, but I think I can save the information stored on the SIM Card."