The Tell

A cool breeze hits my face, making me scrunch it up in confusion. 

I don't remember leaving my bedroom window open. 

I roll over, only to slip and fall onto something hard. My eyes shoot open, expecting to see my ceiling, but it's definitely not there. I sit up, barely having enough space to move my body. As I turn my head, I realize I'm in a car. It's way too nice to be my mom's car, so this could only mean one thing. 

I'm in Derek's car. 

What in the holy hell am I doing in Derek's car? And why was I sleeping?

One of the front windows was open, letting in the cool breeze. 

I shook my head, and the wail of sirens reached my ears. The noise was loud, and I instinctively reached up to rub my temples, running my fingers through my long hair.

I was definitely in Derek's car, but there was no sign of that babe magnet anywhere. My eyes scanned over my clothes: running shorts and my track team sweatshirt.

I must have fallen asleep after practice, but that still didn't give Derek the right to kidnap me. My hands fumbled around my pockets for my phone, but they came up empty. I sighed in frustration, shaking my head.

I opened the door and climbed over to the front, noticing that I still had my shoes on. Did I really fall asleep after practice with my shoes on?

That didn't sound like me. I closed the door behind me, scanning the area.

There was no one around except for Scott's bike.

Confusion washed over me.

My nose caught a familiar scent, and I looked up to see that we were at the video store. Scott and Derek were on the roof. They couldn't have woken me up? I climbed up the ladder that led to the roof and found the two idiots standing there, focused on whatever was happening below.

I just wanted to go home.

I walked toward them, shaking my head.

"What the hell is going on? Why did I wake up in the back of your car?" I directed my question mainly at Derek.

Scott turned to me, looking confused and red in the face.
"What the hell is this?" Scott asked Derek, clearly upset that I was there.

"She needs to see this," Derek said quickly, pulling me closer to them and making me look down below.

Police cars, ambulances, and people were everywhere.

A dead body caught my attention, and I could also see Jackson and Lydia from where we were standing.

"Let me guess, the Alpha?" I questioned.

Derek nodded, and I sighed.

"I'm moving to Peru," I told them, not taking my eyes off the scene of the crime.

"Which kind of blows my mind since it should be a pretty basic concept to grasp for a minimum wage rent-a-cop like you! Okay, now, I wanna go home!" Jackson was having a meltdown, blowing up in Sheriff Stilinski's face.

"If the Alpha comes for Jackson, we should just let him feed," I said, earning a look from Scott.

"What? You're thinking it too," I shrugged.

He shook his head, turning back to the scene.

"Oh, whoa, is that a dead body?" Stiles' voice captured my attention, and I chuckled.

"Starting to get it?" Derek asked. I glanced over at him.

"I get that he's killing people, but I don't get why," Scott said.

"I mean, this isn't standard practice, right? We don't go out in the middle of the night murdering everyone, do we?"

He turned to Derek, looking for his answers.

"No. We're predators. We don't have to be killers," Derek responded.

I turned to Derek as well, searching for my own answers.

"Then what's this guy's problem?" I asked, turning away from him again.

"That's what we are going to find out," Derek replied.

"Psh," I shook my head. "I'm going home." 

I started walking away from them, ready to head home.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Sleep was taking over me, making it hard to keep up at practice. Despite being so tired, I still managed to beat Judy Rudolf in the hurdles. School had only just started, but I was already ready to get the hell out of here.