Chapter 17 - The Party

After exchanging niceties Lucy sat back in her seat and took in the scenery speeding by. The horses had picked up their pace and the carriage seemed to be flying along the dirt road. Despite the road being bumpy, the seats seemed to absorb most of the impact making the ride in the carriage smoother than Lucy had anticipated.

 Lucy stuck her head out the window and felt the cool wind blowing through her hair. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply. The fresh scent of eucalyptus filled her nostrils. She had grown up with that beautiful fresh smell all of her life and it now reminded her of home. Suddenly a pang of longing for her time and loved ones coursed through her veins and tears sprang to her closed eyes. She prayed a silent prayer to God that their plan would work and she would be delivered back to her time.  At that moment William interrupted Lucy’s thoughts. She finished her prayer and opened her eyes, looking over at William seated opposite her.

 “Are you crying, Lucy? Are you fearful?” William questioned.

“Yes, I do have tears in my eyes, William,” Lucy replied, wiping them from her face. “But no, I’m not fearful. If anything I want the time to hurry up and come already. I want to go home,” she said longingly.

“Yes, I expect you miss your home and family terribly. And John,” he replied.

“Yes, I do, very much. But please, don’t let me bring you both down. We’re headed for a party and we’re going to have some fun. Well, I hope we’re going to have some fun?” Lucy questioned.

“I for one intend to have some fun,” Sally piped up.

“Me too,” William agreed.

“Me three,” Lucy said. “Just as soon as we deal with Dunlop,” she remarked.

“Dunlop? Who’s Dunlop?” Sally questioned.

“I’m sure William will tell you one day but not tonight. All you have to worry about tonight is if you’ve got your dancing shoes on. It’s William’s job to make sure you have a wonderful time,” Lucy replied.

“And you too,” Sally stated.

“Yes, and me too, although I suspect that I’m not as good a bush dancer as you are,” Lucy responded.  

Lucy, William and Sally continued chatting until their carriage arrived at Mary and William’s house. As it pulled up Lucy suddenly clasped her hand over her mouth and grabbed William by the arm, before he could descend from the carriage.

“What is it?” William asked, concerned.

“We forgot to get your father a fortieth birthday present!” Lucy exclaimed.

“Oh, bollocks! I forgot all about it,” William also exclaimed, clapping his hand to his head.

“I think I can help you out there,” Sally interjected.

“How so?” William questioned.

“I purchased your father a whisky flask,” Sally said taking a gift that had been wrapped in fine muslin out of a drawstring bag that matched her dress perfectly. Lucy hadn’t even noticed Sally carried a bag up until then. “We can say it’s from all three of us,” Sally said.

“Sally, if I wasn’t a gentleman, I could just kiss you right now,” William said with gratitude.

“Go on then,” Lucy prompted.

“Go on, what?” William questioned.

“Kiss her,” Lucy said.

“I’m a gentleman and Sally is a lady. It would be inappropriate for me to kiss her. I’ve only known her for an hour,” William stated, blushing madly as he did.