𝐢 | 𝐎𝐧 𝐇𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤

Why? Why did it happen?

To her, to her friends, to her family? To the innocent people who don't deserve it? Why? It's such a common question, but why is that?

Ah, there it is again. The question that raises more questions. The beginning that creates no end. The start of every story. It exists without an origin, it lives without a purpose, it feeds without having to hunger. An endless black hole which squeezes life into oblivion.

This is what she thought in the very few moments she had left to think, to feel, to care. This, the only and most annoying thought, was what roamed her mind as she watched millions of people perish, thousands of houses burn, and an infinity of lives destroyed.

Why?

Life was simpler when she was younger. Being a female she was trained indoors about housework, while boys her age were off at the stables learning to ride a horse or wielding a weapon. It made her wonder-- why can't she learn what they are already succeeding at? How come she has to clean and cook and prepare herself for marriage?

After all, she will be turning twelve soon and will have to look for a husband whether she likes it or not.

If she doesn't find a husband soon, she'll bring dishonor to her family and to the name she bears. She doesn't want to upset her parents or shame them, but must she really get married so soon? It seemed inappropriate to marry at such a young age and especially to a man of random choosing. It's not like many Vikings, such as herself, get to go on dates.

She has much more important duties to uphold, besides that. She may shame her family name, but at least she won't be living under the conditions of something so unordinary.

But perhaps she spoke too soon, as no longer than a day went by from her disobedience did she feel the edge of a rock impact her arm.

The people were angry, angry at her, angry at what she had chosen to do, or rather of what she had chosen not to do. It was unheard of for a twelve-year-old girl not to be married.

Her father tried to explain to her why it was so important for her to follow the rules set out by the Things, but she didn't listen, and her ignorance was shown by the torture she went through.

She had so many red marks on her arms by the time she was ready to learn her lesson. The rocks were by the people, but her real punishment was from the Things.

They sent her away to a longhouse where she was greeted by the steam rising from a stone cauldron. She immediately knew what was about to happen. They pushed her down, hard onto her knees, and raised her hand above the water boiling inside the cauldron. Then they told her of how she would be healed by the Gods if she was truly innocent.

But she was innocent!

She begged with them, asking them if she could place her obedience in the hands of the priest, or rather his ring. But they did not listen. Her hand was pushed into the boiling water and she was left to pick out stones until there were none left inside of it.

Soon she became all too familiar with hot stones in boiling water. Many called her disobedient, she instead called herself rational.

However, she learned that eventually, her punishments would be one too many. Either she would be banished or worse be tortured, left to die because of her actions. It did not matter her gender-- the very fact that she was practicing in what menfolk were to practice made her compatible for any judgment.

So instead she kept her true impulses, her true intrigue, a tight secret. She kept it locked up within her like a treasure buried in the dirt.

But she was not twelve years old forever.