Lost-and-found

I was sitting in my office doing the worst activity in the world - administration. I will rather run a marathon (I never run) or go on speed dating (hate that) or hiking (hike-what?! Never ever). My only hope was that I would have an emergency call, because I was on duty that night.

I wish for that call so badly. I just want to work. I want to do what I am best in - surgery. Not some shitty paper work.

I was still in my fed up mind, when I heard the ringing. Thanks God for a distraction!

... If I can turn back time, I will never wish for that call...

.

.

"Get me in the situation Emmi" I asked my favorite nurse with shining blue hair.

"Male, 30, broken ribs, pneumothorax, internal bleeding, cuts."

"A car accident?" I asked her.

"A shot in the knee..."

"Oh." I raised my eyebrows.

"...and cut fingers. The middle finger and pinkie to be specific."

"It is like from a crime TV show" I tried to lighten the atmosphere.

Emmi looked at her notes one more time and answered sadly: "Kidnaped, raped, tortured..."

I gasped "Oh my God... Why do you need me here?"

She winked at me "You are on duty and I guess you was bored and any kind of help is welcomed."

.

.

"Hi Kevin, how can I help you here?"

"Mitch! I'm happy that u have a night shift. I guess Emmi have told you everything."

"Yeah. Poor guy..."

"The world is cruel... He should be out of danger already. I fixed the bleeding and I am exhausted. Can you please look at the fingers? Your plastic surgery is legendary and I hope we can repair at least one of those fingers."

"Sure KO." I nodded and start to work. When I am working, I am fully concentrated. My one mistake can cause huge problems. It is an adrenaline and I love it.

I looked at the hand with almost invisible hair. Boy, you have a huge hand! Quite beautiful I have to tell.

His hands were similar. He has long fingers, but always so gentle, when he touched me, when they grabbed me, when they stroked me, when...

I shook those memories from my mind and looked at the pinkie.

"Kevin? I can't do anything with that. The finger is dead already, I'm so sorry bro. I will do my best with the other one. Do you know how that happened? The wound is so clean."

"Cut off with a scalpel. It was part of the torture I presume."

I sighed. "Show me the other one."

And he did. And world stopped spinning. And I almost died. And I wish that all of that was just a bad dream. And I wish I never had that shift. And I wish I never left him.... I wish I never met him again in those circumstances. And...

I was staring at the tattoo. Skull. The same skull as I have under my glove. I remember exactly the day, when we got that together.

"Let's get matching tattoos Mitchy!"

"Um...It is so cheesy, don't you think?"

"It is and I don't care! I want to look at my finger and think about you."

"You are thinking about me anyway, so what is the point?"

"The point is tattoos are better than promise rings. You can throw away the ring, but not erase the tattoo easily."

"Promise rings?" I blushed.

"Yeah... I love you, so... Yeah." He was blushing even more.

I still have a hope, that it is just coincidence.

"Emmi?"My voice was shaking. "What is his name?"

She checked that and answered "Scott. Scott Hoying."

I had to grab the table, because my legs were suddenly weak.

"Scotty..." I whispered.

I dared to look closer at his body. I wish I did not.

He has bruises and cuts everywhere. He lost so much weight. His knee has strange angle and I as I can tell, he might not be able to walk easily again. I looked at his face and almost started to cry. If they will not tell me and if I will not know his body so well, I will not recognize him. His face was covered in violet and red colors. Eyes shut. His stunning deep blue eyes.

"Mitch? Are you OK?" asked Emmi.

"What?... Yes, I guess..." Let's get back to work, please.

"You have to go there! That is just one lifetime opportunity and you know it!"

"I can't Scotty! I don't want to leave you."

"You are not leaving me. I will be always with you, just look at the skull. We can make it work babe. Distance means nothing to me. I will visit you as much as possible."

"It is not the same and you know it! I can't! I don't want to! You are forcing me! Don't! Stop!" I yelled at him.

He took my hands in his. "Mitchy. It is full scholarship at the most famous University in States. You always wanted to be a doctor. It is you dream! I can't be the reason, why you not take that. So... I want to break up."

"WHAT?! Are you kidding?"

"I am not kidding. I love you, but... I don't want to be a burden. You are so talented and you will stay there for me. I can't allow that."

That was the last time I was talking to him. Years ago. He was stubborn. I was injured. I left Texas and went to that University. The best decision regarding my carrier. The worst decision regarding my personal life. I tried to replace him, but nobody had chance. Expectations were so high.

A beeping cut my other thoughts.

"Shit! What is happening?!" Kevin yelled at the nurse in front of the ecg monitor.

"I have no idea Kevin. Everything is going down. We are losing him." She answered in panic.

"No!" I screamed at my friend. "You got that KO. Rescue him! ... Please?"

Everybody was staring at me. I didn't care. All I cared about was a man lying there, broken angel, my lost and found love.

.

.

I looked at him. He was so peaceful...

I looked at him. He was so beautiful...

I looked at him. He was flawless...

I looked at him. My heart was screaming for him. Praying for him. Calling him back.

.

.

I looked at him and he slowly opened his eyes.

"Scott..." I whispered.

"Mitchy... Am I dead? "

"No, babe... But almost..."

"Good!" He replied and felt asleep.

"Yeah. Good." I replied and sat next to his bed. I put my hand on his and patiently waiting for him to be awake again.

I have nothing better to do... I will not leave him again - try to convince me this time, Scott Richard Hoying!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Did u like that? :)