Chapter 9: Hope It Never Fades Out

"Hyunji-unnie! Wake up it's Christmas!" A blaring voice yelled in my ear. My eyes grew wide as if the balls were to pop out of their sockets, but were immediately blinded by the light that shone from the window that Seulbi—the person who woke me up—always opens in the morning. Lord, I swear this girl is younger than me by only a year but the way she connects with us is very amusing.

I look up after my eyes adjusts, and saw that all the beds were empty, except for Jaehwa's bed, which she was just groggily waking up to Seulbi's constant yapping because it was Christmas.

"Shut up, Seulbi-ah..." She says in her best morning voice while rubbing her right eye.

"Mornin' Jaehwa. Merry Christmas." I say, sadly. The thought of Christmas really just reminds me that this company is over.

Jaehwa and I were going to be separated.

I got off from my bed and put on a sweater that had an image of a snowman embroidered on it. Mum sent it two days ago with a Christmas card. I slipped on my worn-out trainers and walked to the door when I noticed Jaehwa walking up behind me.

"There's a special Christmas breakfast right?" She asks me while tying up her hair into a tiny ponytail, considering that her hair is short. I smile at her and nod.

Suddenly her eyes lit up in excitement. "Well what are we waiting for?" She says and dashes through the door before I could.

As we finally enter the dining hall, we see all the biggest tables had been pushed to the center. Or in our case, imagine four square red tables in the middle of the dining area and lots of plastic chairs surrounding it.

The CEO then comes up to us. We both bowed to pay our respects and then walked over to the table to enjoy the Christmas breakfast. I sat still in between Jaehwa and a boy named Taejin, who was a close friend in rap and dance class.

"Hey, Hyunji," he says while scooping up some pancakes and putting them on his plate.

"Hey," I said back in response, realizing that all the meals on the table was simply dishes that were seriously on budget.

"So, where will you be transferring too?" He asks, shoving a mouthful of pancake into his mouth.

"Huh?" I blinked. I looked over at the rest of the table and wondered how our life was gonna be once we separate.

"Oh.." I sighed.

"SM Entertainment."

-

I stare at the window in front of me, as my ears hear the faint sound of the younger trainees running about and Jaehwa screaming at them.

It was finally time for us to leave.

I can't believe it.

I thought my new life here would be the only thing I know.

I opened up the book mum gave and reread the paragraph I had wrote on the day I flew here.

Is this what God wanted to show me then?

Maybe this is what he wanted.

Maybe he's doing this for a reason.

It's okay. I think I'll live.

Suddenly I feel the bed sinking a little and look over to my left to see Jaehwa, sitting beside me with her glasses barely hanging from her nose.

For a second, I felt like crying. But I did my best to put a smile, even if it was crooked. She smiled back and looked out the window like I had.