Songbirds

'Cause baby you're a firework. Come on show 'em what your worth. Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!" As you shoot across the sky-y-y

The song had been running through my head all day. I didn't remember know who sang it. My soulmate apparently seemed to love it for some reason, even though I thought that it was annoying.

Hi, my name is Tony and my soulmate is the most optimistic person in the whole freaking world. I'll be walking around my small town and, suddenly, I have a preppy, colorful song playing in my head, meaning that my soulmate was either listening to it or singing it.

I rolled my eyes at the silly song and continued on my way. Suddenly, the song stopped. I assumed that they were done listening to music, but another song started a few minutes afterwards.

You and I, we're like fireworks and symphonies exploding in the sky

With you, I'm alive

Like all the missing pieces of my heart, they finally collide

So stop time right here in the moonlight

'Cause I don't ever wanna close my eyes

Without you, I feel broke

Like I'm half of a whole

Without you, I've got no hand to hold

Without you, I feel torn

Like a sail in a storm

Without you, I'm just a sad song

I'm just a sad song

I recognized the song immediately. Sad Song by We the Kings. Why would my soulmate be listening to that when they were just listening to something happy? I shrugged and kept going on my way, heading to work.

A few months later, I heard that there was a new student coming to my school. I didn't really care, since I doubted we would be friends anyway, so I just kept listening to my showtunes. At that moment, I had been listening to Words Fail from Dear Evan Hansen, humming it under my breath.

I was walking past a large group of students when I heard someone singing. Now, being the anxious mess that I am, I usually listen to music with one earbud out, so that I can listen if someone is trying to call me.

"I guess I thought I could be part of this. I never had this kind of thing before. I never had that perfect girl, who somehow could see the good part of me," I heard come from the middle of the group. The rest of the group fell silent before dissolving into small whispers.

"How's listening to that song?"

"What even is that song?"

"Do you think his soulmate is a theatre nerd?"

"I wonder of that's just him singing,"

I quickly glanced over the tops of everyone's heads and took a peak at the new kid. He had bright blonde hair and dark brown eyes. His skin was super tanned and I could barely make out the abs that he had hidden under his shirt. He looked like he was on his way to become the hottest guy in school, and I wasn't about to disagree.

I shouldered my bag, a light blush dusting my face as I walked away. The new kid couldn't possibly be my soulmate, could he? I thought That'd be too easy

I decided to test it out. Any time I got close to the new kid, I'd start humming a song to myself. Soon afterwards, they would start humming the exact same song. I freaked.

The possibility of the new kid to be my soulmate was so low that I almost didn't believe it. My experiment went on for a whole week before I actually came to terms with the fact that he was my soulmate. I figured that I might as well get to know him before I told him, so I decided to talk to him one day after school.

I walked up to him while he was walking with a group of his friends and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around and I instantly regretted it. He was, like, a full head taller than me. His eyes shown in the sun, turning the color of honey. My heart did little flips and my face turned beet red. I had no idea what to say.

"Yes?" he said, his voice deep.

"I, um," I stuttered out, biting my lip. I began to fidget with my hands, not looking him in the eye. This was harder than I thought.

"Oh, looks like the little emo has a crush," one of his friends cooed in a mocking tone. My face burned up even more at that. I turned around and began to run, wanting nothing more than to get away from there. I could still hear his friends laughing as I rounded the corner of the school building.

I didn't stop until I was safe at home, in my room. I buried my face under the covers of my bed and tried to calm the burning in my face.

After a few minutes, I ended up falling asleep.

The next morning, I woke up groggy. I managed to drag myself out of bed and get to school. I didn't bother to change, since I had fallen asleep in my clothes.

I got to school and sat on my favorite bench. I put in both earbuds this time and leaned up against the wall, Only Us from Dear Evan Hansen blasting in my head.

After a minute, I felt someone sit next to me. I yanked out one of my earbuds, ready to tell whoever it was to go away, but I fell silent. The new kid had just sat next to me, a surprised look donning his features as he looked down at my earbud. My music was still blasting out of it, so I quickly covered it with my finger and turned away.

"What do you want?" I grumbled out, my ears turning a light shade of pink. I hoped he couldn't see it. He didn't speak for a few seconds, but, when he did, my heart stopped.

"So it can be us. It can be us and only us. And what came before won't count anymore or matter," he sang out, matching the pace to the song in my earbuds perfectly. I began to sing along.

"We can try that," I sang.

(Italics= Tony; Bold= His soulmate; Italics and Bold= Both of them))

It's not so impossible

Nobody else put the two of us here

'Cause you're saying it's possible

We can just watch the whole world disappear

'Til you're the only one I still know how to see

It's just you and me

It'll be us, it'll be us

And only us

And what came before won't count anymore

We can try that

You and me

That's all that we need it to be

And the rest of the world falls away

The world falls away

And it's only us

I stared at him in shock as we finished, my heart nearly bursting out of my chest. I nearly lost it when he leaned close and whispered, "I've never watched that musical,"

I gulped and took in a shaky breath. "Guess we're, uh, soulmates," I stammered sheepishly.

"Guess so," he laughed out, "I'm Adam," We've been inseparable ever since.

He and I became super close. I learned that he had moved to my small town because his dad had died and his mom wanted a new, fresh start. He learned about my anxiety and that I lived on my own. We were two broken pieces of a puzzle that fit perfectly together.

It's been five years and we've been married for three of them. We've been thinking about adopting for months now and we've decided to go the local orphanage tomorrow. My life is perfect.