Chapter 10

"What are you doing?" Coach Kalvin bellowed. 

Instantly, heads turned to see who the coach's victim was today.

A girl bent on her knees looked flustered as she ran out of breath. Almost in unison, they shook their heads at her before resuming their business. Some gave looks of pity while others snickered.

After all, it wasn't unusual to see December Scarborough become the yelling target for Black Bridge Academy's tough and burly coach, since the girl doesn't seem to possess any stamina for her P.E class. 

Fortunately, this doesn't happen frequently, except when the sport involves running and chasing.

He rubbed his brow and sighed. "I've told you before and I'll tell you again," This time, he enunciated slowly like she was a child. "Your job is to stop anyone on the opposing team from getting the ball." 

With a tired look, he said gruffly, "Did you even eat today, girl?"

December could only nod. 

She was trying to block the laughter and snickers and even some pitying looks thrown her way. As if that wasn't horrible enough, she just spotted the boys' team playing on the other side of the gym. 

Zach was practicing with some of his friends and although he looked over a few times, December couldn't tell what kind of expression he wore.

She blinked her eyes a few times more, trying to keep the tears at bay and focus on what the coach was saying.

"There's no point to a game if you don't put your all in it, got it?" At another nod, he said, "Good. One more time."

December stood in her position among her teammates, trying to recognise the faces from the opposing team when a snide voice beside her said, "What a waste of time, really. I'd rather have those losers sitting over there to play on my team than a weakling like you."

December knew very well who that voice belonged to but she decided to ignore her.

The girls took their position and was in a ready stance. 

As soon as Coach Kalvin blew the whistle, everyone went into action. The opposing team were going for the ball while the defenders tried to stop it. 

December was one of them and was about to stop one of the opposing members from reaching the ball when like a flash, someone came from behind her and she immediately tripped over something, making her fall face down. She managed to defend herself using her elbows and covered her face so the fall was cushioned a little bit.

In an instant, Karen was beside her as she chuckled quietly and said in a whisper, "Can't even play right and you're always the target for coach's yelling. Aw, you poor baby."

To others, it seemed like Karen was concerned about December by the way she sat beside the girl with a look of worry etched across her lovely features, which struck both disbelief and awe in everyone who saw it. 

December knew better, of course and she knew how ridiculous it would have looked especially when the blonde was spewing some evil things to her right now.

As if in a trance, everyone was quiet and it was like the earth went still for only a few seconds before Karen Joyce cried in mock concern with a, "She's hurt. Get the nurse!"

Not a second after, steps thundered towards them and voices broke out into murmurs.

December heard the sound of a shrill whistle before the coach bellowed, "Is she up?"