My Very Own Lightsaber

Lothal, 01120 AM

Kanan POV

It's been three weeks since I've seen the kid. He's so busy on making a lightsaber of his own that he hasn't come out of his room. Well, he has apparently. Zeb told me Ezra crawls through the vent to get to the refresher or to get food. I didn't believe him at first until I saw it for myself.

Flashback

I was sitting back in the kitchen area, sipping on a cup of tea, thinking to myself. 'Hm, I've been meditating all day, and Hera's doing something so...what can I do now..'

"Hmm," I hummed to myself. I set the mug down on the table quietly. Pure silence for once. With Ezra making that lightsaber, there is actual peace...if you want to exclude Zeb and Chop anyway. I chuckle softly to myself, but then go silent when I hear the vent grate opening. I spun around to see the vent open slight and a skinny arm come stretching out over the counter. 

The arm held it's hand over the bowl full of jogans and one of the jogans began to float. "Ezra?" I muttered in disbelief. A soft gasp came from the vents and the jogan basically dropped into the hand. The hand then retreated and a familiar scurry could be heard. Yup, that was defintely Ezra.

The same thing happens with the refresher, but I choose to mind my business. If Ezra wants to work on his lightsaber without being seen, then let him be. "Kanan," Hera's voice came through the corridor as she entered my room.

"Yes, Hera Dear?" I replied sweetly. Hera had her arms crossed and a frown across her face. "I'm worried about your padawan," Hera mumbled. I got out of my meditating position. "Why?" I asked.

"He's...um, very introverted now. I haven't seen his face for awhile, simply a blur of him every time he turns the corner. He hasn't been sleeping at all and, I'm worried about his health," Hera explained. "Did Zeb tell you that he hasn't been sleeping," I asked.

Hera nodded, her head low. "Can you...go talk to him?" Hera asked, her voice lower than a whisper. "Wait...me? Why me?" I pouted. 

"You're his master, Kanan," Hera sighed. I look away from Hera. "He's not afraid of me, so he won't listen to me," I retorted. "Fear has nothing to do with it. You relate to him more so he'll listen better."

I opened my mouth to retort, but Hera glared at me, her lekku twitching. "Do you really want to argue with me?" Hera asked as she walked out. "No..." I huffed in defeat. I walked out of my room and made my way down the hall towards Ezra and Zeb's shared cabin. I knocked gently on the door.

"Ezra, can I come in?" I asked gently. "No..." a soft voice came from inside. "Please?" I begged. "No, Kanan. Leave me alone..."

He leaves me no choice, so I reluctantly use the force to open the door. "K-Kanan!" Ezra's voice yelped. I spotted him on the far side of the room, sitting at the desk with his arms on top of the table. He is covering up his 'almost' lightsaber.

"Don't worry, I didn't come in here to see your lightsaber," I chuckled as I stepped into the dark room. He looked terrible, exhausted. He had dark circles around his eyes, his cheekbones visible and his skinny arms looked like toothpicks. 

"I didn't let you in," Ezra grumbled, using the force to take the cover off of his bunk and throw it over the desk, to cover up his masterpiece. "How do you expect to make your lightsaber anyway," I asked. Ezra looked at me with a tired smirk. "That's the surprise, Space Cowboy," Ezra teased.

Ezra only calls me a Cowboy when he wants me gone, or if he wants to aggravate me. "You can't focus if you're tired," I declared. Ezra's eyes widen before squinting at me. "Is that what this is all about? Look, Kanan, I'm not tired, so if you wanted me to sleep I'm sorry to disappoint," Ezra replied calmly.

"Zeb says you don't sleep at all," I responded. "Zeb says alot of things. He also thinks I'm a worm with legs," Ezra replied. "Ezra, you can't keep working if your body is running on nothing," I sighed. Ezra looked at me with his infamous frown. "You worry too much, Kanan. I'm fine," Ezra said, gesturing to his weak skinny body.

I shake my head sadly at my adoptive son. He's so stubborn! "Now, can you go? I'm trying to work on my lightsaber.."

Before I could reply, Ezra gently used the force to push me out of the room. Welp, that got me nowhere! I trudged into the common room and sat on the couch, where Hera was waiting for me. "So, how'd it go?" Hera sang.

"He's still stubborn as usual," I replied sadly. Hera tsked as she stood up, getting off the L-couch.

 "Tsk, I didn't want to do this but," Hera handed me a mug full of hot chocolate, "Give this to him. It'll do the trick." I instinctively sniffed the beverage and immediately knew something was wrong with it. "What's in it?" I asked with curiosity. "It's sedated," Hera replied simply. My jaw dropped. "Hera, we can't do that," I whispered.

"It's for his health, Love. You know that" Hera interrupted. She's right, in every single way. "Ugh...fine," I moaned, taking the warm spiked beverage with me back to Ezra's room, but this time, I didn't knock.

"Kanan, knock next time," Ezra whined, swiftly throwing the blanket over his lightsaber. "Look, why not take a little break?" I suggested, holding the drink behind my back. "A break? Kanan, you know my answer is no," Ezra muttered.

"Just a short nap, okay?" I offered. "No, Kanan," Ezra hissed. I placed a gentle hand on Ezra's shoulder, and he tensed at my touch. "Kanan..." Ezra started, but I pulled him into a tight hug, pulling him out of his chair.

"Let me go, Kanan!" Ezra yelped, squirming and kicking under my hold, but he was so weak. I pulled us both to the ground, sitting Ezra on my lap. He seemed to fight me, but his body was against him, leaning into my embrace.

"Ez, it's okay," I cooed. Ezra huffed in defeat. "Just take a nap, okay?"
"No, Kanan," Ezra replied with a pout. I sighed softly, resting my chin and nuzzling Ezra's head of hair. "At least drink this," I whispered, giving the warm mug to the child. Ezra looked down at it for a moment, his eyes sparkling for the sweet drink before he turned to me with a glare.

"Why," Ezra yawned. "I can't be nice," I teased. Ezra seemed to accept my response because he tipped the cup over his mouth before he began to chug it. I watched him with a sad smile, petting his head in a nurturing way. When Ezra finished the drink, he seemed to realize something was wrong with the drink, but by then it was too late.

"What did you do to me," Ezra slurred groggily, laying on my chest. "Sh, sleep young one," I cooed. "But, Kanan," Ezra said in a drowsy tone. "Sh, sh, it's okay," I petted his soft hair. Ezra's eyelids fluttered shut and soft snoring came from him.

"Oh, my stubborn padawan. I'm sorry," I chuckled weakly, picking the sleeping child and setting him on Zeb's bed. I sure he won't mind. I rubbed Ezra's cheek with my thumb in a circular motion, Ezra's grunting softly. "Dad," Ezra mumbled. I smiled to myself before leaving my child to sleep peacefully.

///////////////////////////////////////////////

Yeah, I know this story is rushed but, I had fun writing it LOL

Stay tuned.