Trial by Fire

After the commander escorted me to my living quaters i unpacked my things and started to make that room look and feel like home. Since it was my home from now on..

the level of TOP SECRET stuff that was going on in this place i'll expect that getting a weekend pass wasn't an option.

Finished with unpacking everything, i got a knock on the door.

" who is it? "

I asked with a questionable tone since i wasnt expecting somebody to come over ~ after all it was my first day.

" service crew! "

Opened the door and it was a girl, she greeted me with a Smile. I began to start a conversation..

" good evening ma'am? "

" hey! Im stacey from the mess hall, the commander asked me if i could get the rookie some grubb since your new here and didnt know where the mess hall was "

I thanked her for bringing me dinner and told her that she really didn't had to do that.

Stacey:

" well this is first and last time, so what would you like? Chicken or beef? "

Me:

Beef please!, i answered with a friendly tone and smile.

Stacey:

" well here you go, its beef roast mashed potatoes and some mixed veggies and a bottle of cold soda to wash it all down. We dont have beer if you were looking for a cold one, alcohol is not really allowed here ~ so yeah, and if you want another plate come down to the mess hall and i can hook you up. So you enjoy your dinner rookie "

( winks )

Me:

I would surely do ma'am. This here is considered five star compared to what i was getting in the trenches, haha. I really do appriciaete it!

Ohh im so sorry, i forgot to introduce mayself. The names david ~ David Lane.

Stacey:

Well nice to meet you david! Now enjoy your food before it gets cold.

She then walks away back to the mess hall.

I sat down began to eat and boy it was great its been so long since my last real hot meal and i was enjoying every bit.

After dinner the lit a cigg, i was used to smoking after every meal ~ it seems to get me relaxed just a habit i picked up from the frontlines i guess.

I then washed the dishes and took a long hot shower after.

Got ready to get some sleep, with a full stomach and after that hot shower i slepted like a rock.

Next day..

Woke up after my first solid night of sleep, i was energized and fully rested. I then tried to remember when was the last time i had this much sleep without bullets flying or a mortar shell waking me up.

Realizing that i could't remember the last time, got up and took a shower.

While in the shower i heard my door open and close.

As i got out, there were some fresh uniforms, rubber boots and a berret' on my bed. The same uniform as commanders with that patch on it.

While holding the uniform in my hands it then became clear that everything was real.

So i changed into the new gear, and as i was lacing my boots the intercom sounded.

" Agent Lane. You are ordered to be present for mission briefing, you will be escorted to the breifing room shortly. "