Chapter 01

After scrolling through my twitter, I remembered it was Shanet's birthday.
           At the age of nine, when I first met Shanet, I had fallen in love with her. I loved spending time with her. Rest of my time, I preferred investing in solitary.

Growing up, I didn't have much friends, in fact I didn't had friends at all. Shanet was all I had, and I loved her since the day I laid my eyes upon her. Although I never told her about how I felt. She considered me as a friend, just a friend. She was in the cheerleading club and she used to hangout with the popular kids.

At the age of nineteen, my dad compelled me to go along him to his friend's place. I begged him to let me stay but my father insisted as he wished for me to run his company someday. When we reached there, I learnt Shanet was the daughter of my father's friend. I was very thankful to my father. My happiness was at it's peak.

      As a result, I became more and more interested in dad's company. My visits at Shanet's place got more frequent. Still I was nothing more than a friend. Just a friend. Her younger brother, Simon, loved hanging out with me. I used to ask him about Shanet sometimes. I discovered that she loved painting.

Once I was walking by Shanet's room, the door was opened. I tried halting myself but I couldn't manage to. Her room was pretty messy, paint brushes and canvasses were all over the floor. I went through some of her painting when I heard her clearing her throat. She told me she did not like me in her room. It caused pain. I apologized her and left. That day, I was mad. I was furious at myself.

Years passed, I never had enough courage to confess my feeling and sentiments to her. But I sometimes left clues for her to guess, but she didn't even bother. I just always wanted to stay by her side. Simon used to say that I was starting to get obsessed with her. Only Simon knew about my secret love for his sister. I made him vow that he'd never say anything to her sister about it.

And now, I am twenty seven years old and Shanet is twenty five. I am the CEO of Benson's Holding. Whereas Shanet is being herself, a painter.

After getting ready for work, I went out to the café for breakfast with my father, also Shanet was going to join us.

"Ezra, you should really start thinking about your marriage." My dad started the conversation. I was about to answer my dad but stopped as I watched Shanet pacing towards us in her red overcoat.

  "I'm thinking just the same, dad." I finally replied when Shanet took a seat beside me.

"Happy Birthday, love!" I gently kissed her cheek.

"Thanks. I am throwing my birthday party at the ship tonight, of course you guys are invited," Shanet informed.

"Can I talk to you for a second, if you don't mind Uncle Alex?" My father nodded and I followed Shanet out of the café.

"Um, how I'm going to say this. Listen to me carefully. Just don't look too obsessed with me tonight, I have some important friends coming over and I don't want you to ruin it. Okay?" She had her eyebrows raised.

Her words gashed me like a sharp knife. My heart began to ache.

"Okay?" She shook my arm.

"Sure." I nodded.

                                   ♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧