24

The school year was nearly over when Rosie got another letter, one that she wasn't expecting because she had just gotten a letter from her sister the day before. Rosie hadn't even had a chance to write back yet so unless Petunia had forgotten to add something extremely pressing, it was safe to say Rosie had no idea who it was from.

Until she had it in her hands, flipped it over, and saw a familiar, flamboyant handwriting. Professor Slughorn had written to her for some reason... Though Rosie didn't know why. He would see her later that day when she had double potions. No matter, Rosie opened the letter and opened it as she absentmindedly buttered a slice of toast for Penny to eat when she stumbled her way into the Great Hall.

Dear Miss. Evans, It is my great pleasure to invite you to me annual end of the year Slugclub meeting. Now, I am sure you have been have seen by now that second years such as yourself are rarely if ever invited to my gatherings, but for you I would like to make the exception. The party, because that is what it will likely end up being, will be held on the last Friday of the school year and there promises to be a fine selection of entertainment and food. If you would like you are welcome to being a guest. Please RSVP if you wish to attend and I eagerly wait to see you there!

Rosie's eyes rose from the invitation to the teacher's table, where she caught sight of Professor Slughorn himself watching her read it. When the old potions master saw that he caught her eye, he waved merrily at her and went back to his sliced fruit. Pineapple.

"What's that?" Penny asked, appearing out of nowhere and motioning to the invitation still Rosie's hand. "It looks pretty fancy."

Penny had always been an eager fan of Professor Slughorn, as potions was her favorite class and he was a master, and Rosie knew how she had always wanted to be invited to one of  Slughorn's infamous 'gatherings'. Unfortunately Penny hadn't been, and because she had no influential family members she probably wouldn't be.

The invitation did say she could bring a guest.

"Professor Slughorn invited you and I to the last Slugclub meeting of the year," Rosie said, setting the paper aside. "Apparently he rarely invites people our age so we should feel quite pleased."

Penny squealed.

*******

"Are you sure I look alright?" Penny fussed, pulling on the hem of her skirt. It was the last Friday of the school year, thankfully, and the entire school was in celebration for surviving the end of year exams. That also meant that the last Slugclub meeting of the year was going to begin in a few minutes.

"Yes, Penny, you look wonderful," Rosie said again, patiently, as she stepped into her own dress. Penny had begun to get ready almost as soon as she set her quill down. Rosie had put it off until the last minute. "I'm sure Professor Slughorn will be very impressed."

Penny continued to fidget, but instead of mangling her dress and further she turned to the neatly wrapped package of sugared pineapples on Rosie's bedside table.

"But what if he doesn't like our gift," Penny continued to worry,  standing up to pace. "What if he's allergic to pineapple. Or what if he really just doesn't like the taste?"

Rosie rolled her green eyes at herself in the mirror, pulling her hair back into an elastic she had around her wrist.

"Professor Slughorn eats pineapple every day. If he doesn't eat it on his hotcakes in the morning he eats it in the evening in the pineapple upside down cake. Trust me, Professor will have no troubles enjoying our gift."

Penny still didn't look completely convinced, but it didn't really matter. Rosie stood from her dressing table and marched out of the room, grabbing both Penny and the candies on her way out.