The Horror (A Short Story)

Don’t read this book!

Drop it, NOW!!

I know you’re still reading this… DON’T!!

~~~~~~

Those were the first three sentences printed on the first three pages of a book – a book which looks old and dirty. Its edges were frayed through the many years it was kept here in the city library. The pages, from white I guess, were turning into the color of flesh.  The black leather cover of the book was too faded that I can’t even read the title.

I turned to the fourth page, intrigued by this monstrosity. I found it while walking through the endless halls of my favorite place, stacked in one shelf that said, Forbidden Section. The shelf itself had grills; clearly, this was a stack of books that can’t be read by just anybody. But in that “forbidden” shelf, there was one small book – the only small book – that fits the grills. I took it, sat down on a nearby stool, and read.

Do you really want to know my secret?

Well then, go on. Read. But don’t say I didn’t warn you.

As I turn from page to page, I was more fascinated. What a good writer, I thought. He knows that any person will read a book when it starts with a ‘Don’t’, because human minds often do the opposite of what they’re told.

When I reach the 20th page, I finally see writing again.

I won’t tell you my name. Just know that I’m a girl who liked reading books and took the small book from the Forbidden Section, just like you did. I also sat down on the nearby stool, just like you. And in the end, you will share the same fate as me.

I smiled, knowing that I picked a good hardback to pass time.

I was fourteen when I read this book, a very old manuscript, so ancient that I can’t even read the title. Being the bookworm I was, I read it, and found very interesting notes. I enjoyed reading, because the book itself was like a diary of the author, telling about how he got the volume and how captivated he was.

While reading, I started to get this chilly feeling, as if the air conditioning in the library suddenly maxed. I continue my quest, the book only having notes every 13 or so pages.

I suddenly shiver. The room abruptly became cold, like what the author was saying.

When I reach the 2nd to the last page, a handsome young boy walks to me. He says hi and looks at the book I was holding. His dark-blonde hair and green eyes made him look ethereal, and I was spellbound.

He told me that he read the book and that he liked it very much. He also grew quiet as he read it from behind me. At this time, the author was talking about the girl who also came when she was reading.

‘Also reading?’ I thought. The author in the story saw a girl while she was reading, I saw a boy while I was reading, (and you will see a girl).