Chapter One - Meet Deacon

Deacon stood as still as he could.  He stared down at his feet, and noticed his toes.  The nails grew too long over the ends.  They were blackened with dirt.  He really did need to take a bath. 

The floor tiling was gold.  It shone so much that Deacon could see his reflection in front of his feet.  The gold floor spread to the walls that had colossal tapestries hung covering whatever colour the walls actually were.  Deacon guessed they were gold, to match the rest of the room and to compliment the occupier.

He sensed, more than heard, Keylani shift in his seat.  His heart quickened.

 “Deacon.”  Keylani breathed.

Deacon felt himself take a sharp intake of breath.

 “Come here.”

Deacon shuffled forward until he was standing directly in front of Keylani.

 “Is it true?”

Deacon nodded.  “Yes Sire.”  He whispered.

Keylani sighed.  “What do you think I should do?”

 “I would never presume to suggest.”  Deacon replied, his head still bowed.

 “Deacon, how many years have you been with me?”  Keylani asked, his voice like velvet.

 “Many years Sire.”

Keylani touched his hand to Deacon’s shoulder.  “I trust you Deacon.”

Deacon nodded.

 “What should we do?”

 “I do not know Sire.”

Keylani sighed and dropped back into his throne.

Deacon stepped back.

 “Look at me.”  Keylani said.

Deacon tried to force his head to lift.

 “Deacon?” 

 “Yes Sire?”

 “Look at me.”

Deacon’s body shook.

 “Deacon.”  Keylani’s voice got closer to him.

Deacon tried as hard as he could to lift his head.

Keylani’s hand touched the bottom of his chin.  “Look at me Deacon.”

As Deacon’s eyes met Keylani’s, Deacon felt his heart sing.  Keylani was beautiful.  He was so beautiful and Deacon’s body shook harder.  The eyes that looked upon him were perfect.  They were so grey that they seemed translucent.  His mouth curved into a smile.  His silver hair swept down around his shoulders.  His broad shoulders were hunched as he leant down to lift Deacon’s face.

Deacon couldn’t pull his eyes from Keylani’s face.

 “What do you think we should do?”  Keylani asked again.

Deacon swallowed the massive lump in his throat and let his eyes shift to Keylani’s throne.

 “Look at me.”  Keylani snapped.

Deacon couldn’t help but stare into his eyes.  “Sire, I do not know.”  He whispered.

Keylani growled in his throat and threw Deacon back.  As he slid backwards, Deacon continued stared at him.

Keylani walked behind his throne and paced back again, he stopped in front of Deacon.  “You are not helping, child.”

Deacon couldn’t drop his eyes.  “I am sorry Sire.”