Chapter Three - Reed

Suddenly he saw trees in the distance.  Subconsciously he tried to move towards them and they became clearer.

He pushed his way through what seemed like fog until he felt something scrunching under his feet.  Deacon looked down to see leaves and needles.  He saw a bright orange light off to the side.

As the fog cleared and everything stopped turning a voice spoke.

 “About time you showed up.”

Deacon turned.  His head swam.  His middle felt like someone had punched him.

 “Here, eat.”  The Human handed him a long metal stick with blackened lumps on it.

 “What is it?”

 “Pork.  It’s not too hot, you took longer than I expected.”

Deacon set down his things and took the meat.  He sniffed it and his middle made a growling sound.

 “You’re hungry, that’s what that sound means.  If you don’t eat soon you’re going to pass out.”

Deacon frowned at the Human, but made no move to eat the pork.

The Human snatched back the stick.  “Watch.”  He said impatiently.  He put it in his mouth tore off some of the meat.  He chewed it for a few minutes then swallowed.  “Eat.”  He handed the stick back.

Deacon copied the Human and took some of the meat from the stick. 

His mouth exploded. 

Fluid erupted into his mouth and he started to drool as he chewed.

 “What is this?”  He said with his mouth full, wiping the drool from his chin.

 “Saliva.  You’ve never eaten and your saliva is produced to help you digest the food in your stomach.  Keep eating, I’ll put more wood on the fire, it’s going to get cold soon.”

 “My saliva likes this meat.”

 “Mine too.”  The Human muttered as he walked back to the fire and sat on a log he’d set next to it.  There was another log on the other side.  Four more metal skewers were balanced over the fire.  The smells drew Deacon closer.

 “Sit.”  Said the Human.

Deacon sat.  “My name is Deacon.”

 “I know, I’m Reed.  Kierre would have told you about me?”

 “I was meant to find you in Minto.”  Deacon said.

Reed laughed.  “I know, but Kierre told me that you are important.  He said I should meet you up here at the gate.”  He pointed back in the direction that Deacon had come.

Deacon turned and looked.  What he saw was amazing.  Bright swirling colours filled the early night.  “I came from there?”

 “All you Angels do.  It’s been a while since this gate has been used though.  It was a hike just getting up here.  Do you know what your mission is?”  Reed handed Deacon another metal skewer over the fire.  “It’s hot.”

Deacon took the skewer.  “My mission?”

 “Yes, what are you meant to do for Keylani.”

 “You know Keylani?”  Deacon stood.

 “Sit down.”  Reed hissed.  “Yes, I know Keylani, I know Kierre.  I know most of the missionaries, not you though.”

Deacon sat.  “I haven’t been given a mission.”