five

THE CLUB,

and maybe club was a classy way of putting it because it was pretty much a strip joint, reeked of broken dreams, heartache and way too much whiskey.  It was something she'd been getting used to over the course of getting ready, but she was wondering how Dick was gonna do, cooped up inside the bar. 

She was just here for information, and she had to remind herself that as she grabbed the string of her underwear, snapping it against her hip. If one of her coworkers recognized her, she was going to curl up and die. "You doing okay?" Dick asked suddenly, "Because we open in like, half an hour and you seem positively panicked here." She waved a hand, her eyes closed, and then looked into the mirror.

"Hey," she said, "no, it's just--" she motioned to the sparkling eyeshadow she was wearing on her lid. "This is more than I'm used to."

Dick snickered and moved over, pulling a heart off the sticker pad and sticking two onto her cheek. "You're gonna look fine," he said, "and you're gonna do fine because we prepared, okay? We worked hard and you're gonna be okay, Tye. Just focus on listening to people. Everyone trusts someone they pay."

"Just gonna have to learn how not to keel over and die every time someone tries to make a flirtatious comment toward me," Tye said, scanning Dick's face, "because unlike you, pretty boy, doesn't happen very much."

Dick clicked his tongue. "Poor you," he said. "I don't think a lot of guys make flirtatious comments towards me." He paused to think for a moment and then shrugged. "Nevermind. You're right. I think I am a little lucky." He chuckled, leaning over to pat her back. "You're pretty though. You definitely deserve any compliments people give you."

"I usually dress a little more conservative," she mused, "not that showing skin is bad. Nothing is bad, it's just... Well, let people live their lives, you know? I just don't like it personally. Uncomfortable." She waved her hands and then her hands looked toward the side, a little giggle spilling out of her lips. "I don't even know why Gordon chose me to do this, you know? I'm not even good with this kind of stuff and you-- Well, why're you here?"

"To help you embrace your inner badass," Dick mused, but then he paused slightly.  "Okay, untrue., but..." He shrugged. "Martial arts, kind of. Prepared to help you. Also an out of town cop from Blüdhaven."

"Huh," Tye said, but then she checked her watch. "Oh, looks like we start," she gave a little laugh, "how do I look?" She slipped off the chair, passing him a smile.

"Can I say 'like a stripper'?" Dick offered.

Tye shrugged. "Isn't that a compliment in this situation?"

--

i said i'd write this and the other fic more but i honestly forgot about it between now and work.