Chapter 12

“Creciste tan rápido, Hijo,” my mom cried. Her tears were starting to make me want to cry too. I loved her so much and this day marked the last day I would ever be a child.

“Nunca dejaré de verte, mamá. Entonces no llores O me harás llorar,” I consoled her with a hug.

“No, no puedes ir a tu fiesta de graduación de esa manera. Vamos, tienes que irte ahora. Mi futura nuera te está esperando,” she laughed and winked at me.

She was right, I had to leave now. Melissa should already be waiting for me. Or perhaps she was still getting ready.

As I started to leave the house, my mom stopped me for another hug. If I knew what would happen next, I would have stayed. And maybe...Nah, that’s too much of a spoiler. Heh. Let’s go the long way around instead.

I arrived at Melissa’s house—there was a moment of hesitation before I knocked. I waited for a few minutes before Rachel opened the door. She always looked gorgeous already, but now that she was Prom-ready, she was stunning.

“Looking good, Rachel. You sure you’re going to Prom and not the President’s soiree?” I teased with a laugh.

“Watch it, and keep your eyes away and on Melissa. Just not too close to her. I’ll be watching,” she punched me softly in the arm.

“Who are you going with to the prom?” I asked already dreading the answer.

Rachel actually had a boyfriend before all this craziness started happening with aliens and body snatching slugs. He was one of the worst people, but she always stayed with him. They usually had breakups but ended up together again after a short while, and that was what happened. So either she was going to Prom with him once again, or she was going with Tobias. I saw how she was around him a couple of days ago. She genuinely cared for him.

“I’m going with James,” her face was void of emotion. I couldn’t tell if she was happy or upset. So I had no clue how to continue.

“But, didn’t you guys…?”

“Yeah, we broke up. But this is the last time we’re going to be seeing each other,” she said as she clutched her arm close to her biting her lower lip.

Now I could tell she was upset. She only ever bit her lower lip when something troubled her. She was wholly against any damage to her body and skin so that's saying something.

“We’re best friends you know. When I first came here, you, Jake, and Marco were the only people who accepted me. You were the one to introduce Melissa to me. And you were the only one to make me feel welcome. So if you ever need anything. Just know that I’ll be there. It’s what friends do.”

“Thanks, Daniel,” she hugged me pushing her starched and styled hair into my face.

“Is it hug time already?” Melissa asked as she came down the stairs from her bedroom.

Rachel let go as I looked up to see my girlfriend. She was wearing a long velvet dress that seemed to be a dark red-purple. It appeared to be one piece and it covered her entire body in a tight hug that connected to a choke collar. Her hair ran straight but curled at the ends. She’d also curled her bangs to make them stand and bob with every movement of her head. Red lipstick and some blush made her eyes look as though they were shining orbs projecting headlights and pronounced her pale skin.

“You like what you see?” She asked as she put a hand on her hip and posed.

“I love what I see. You’re smoking hot!” my comment made her chuckle.

“Shh, I don’t want my mom to hear these comments of yours,” she gave me a wide grin.

“Well, well. Melissa! I would never have guessed that you went through an ugly duckling phase before now,” Rachel teased her friend. “You’re ready for the picking now. Just make sure that you just keep him in his pants,” Rachel nudged me.