Forget About Worms, It's The Cats That Get You

Kebechet's POV

I walked down the alley covered in recyclables to my small den of a home. It wasn't much, a bed sheet covering a small alcove, but it was shelter and that was enough.

Well, there was one thing...

"Kebbie!" Ma'at insisted on being loud when she greeted people. She was the one person I could never live without.

"I'm home, May." I sat the bag that I brought from the farmer's market on the lifted counter.

"I got the water and peanuts."

"Corn and apples." I paused before bringing up the next thing. "I was hired today-"

"You didn't!" May screamed.

"No, not for that." I recoiled at the thought. "The funeral home was looking for someone who knows embalming."

"But what if he finds you there and finds out who you are?" She brought up the worry of every Egyptian demigod.

"I don't know. Neither of us know enough magic to fight. But I'll try to avoid all Egyptians." I sighed as I finished my apple.

"Well, I found an opening at the library so I'm applying tomorrow. I guess we both just need luck on our side." She laughed. "Good night."

"Sweet dreams." I went to my corner a lightly dozed. When you live on the streets, you never fall asleep completely.

Zing! Something whizzed on the other side of the bed sheet door and the first thing I thought of was a bullet.

"May!" I screamed, scared that I might have lost her.

"Uh. What, Kebbie?" She sat up rubbing her eyes. "Hey, it ain't mornin' yet!"

"Did you hear that?" I said stretching towards the opening to our home.

"Hear what?" May looked at me confused.

"Shh." I hushed.

Zing! The thing outside continued to make whizzing noises.

"What is that?" May wondered aloud.

We both crowded the small opening of the alcove and peaked out. There sat a small glowing black cat with a white spot on its chest and plain, but glowing, book. We looked at each other with that 'Why-Not' look and picked up both items.

One problem for both of us...

We fainted.