Chapter Three

The day the people of Everhart was anticipating had finally arrived. It was the day Prince Reiel must receive the blessing of the High King and become king himself. After the tragedy that shook the Kingdom's tradition, everyone was both anxious and excited to finally meet the king-to-be. The castle opened its doors, allowing the public to come and join in the celebration as they prepared for the ceremony to be held at sunset. However, royal guards were scattered throughout the kingdom and made sure the Prince stayed safe.

Meanwhile, the town was filled with glee. Many of them gathered in the Town Square, where they can easily see a view of the royal castle that lied on higher ground across the forest. A banquet was prepared by the townspeople for those who cannot come there; it was their tradition of celebration. Each household cooked their best dishes to share with the people on long tables that they had set up themselves. They would also hang yellow buntings on the streets, but not this time; they, too, were afraid just as the King and Queen was this morning. Seeing knights with a golden engravement of the kingdom's emblem on their chest - the royal guards - roaming the streets ignited their fears that their preparations would all be for nothing once again.

The whole kingdom had been quiet after what happened to the Prince. A slightest thought that a tragedy such as that would happen to him - or to anyone, for that matter - never crossed the royal family's mind. The Kingdom of Everhart was a peaceful place. Everyone lived in harmony with each other; everyone lived a simple life. Nobody envied anyone, let alone the throne. The people loved how the Royals lead. They had always ruled with grace and heart for their people. The blessing and anointment was evident in every one of their reign, providing the people of Everhart the right wisdom and healing that came only from the High King. However, that distinct joy that enveloped the kingdom turned into uncertainty and insecurity, especially when the High King had chosen not to bless Prince Reiel.

Ah, It seemed like it was only yesterday - the prince lying half-dead in the heart of the forest, whilst the townspeople unknowingly prepared to celebrate the prince's Blessing Ceremony. But despite what happened to Prince Reiel, the royals presented their son to the High King, believing that Spirod would still come, the small yet majestic white-feathered creature who was promised and sent by the High King on a prince's birth, seventh, and fourteenth year to predicate the next heir to the throne, bless and finally crown him as king.

They waited for seven sunsets; the whole Kingdom of Everhart expectantly waited for him to shed the brilliant light which came from his feathers as the day turned night, and sit atop the castle's tallest tower where the prince was to be. Alas, their hopes only failed them. The reason, the royals knew not and neither did the High King speak and reveal it to them. He was silent; thus, the royals decided to keep what happened to the young prince a secret. But of course! The people knew something was amiss - indeed they thought that the prince must be dead, but they trusted their king and queen, who were both assuring and evasive to their questions.

But all that was in the past. Now that the royals had announced Prince Reiel's blessing and coronation once again, the people's hope were renewed. But the king and queen's fear lingered until this very day, frightened that the enemy could still be out there planning his or her next move.

~