two

it's hard to describe your love for someone. mine for him was enough to want to gouge my eyes out but stay immersed in his soul forever. it's hard to be worried for someone you're constantly around. it makes your heart ache, and your mind ache and everything just stops. like nothing ever started.
ashton stayed with me last night. we shared the bed just like when we were little kids. he was asleep, but i sat up clutching calum's phone hoping that someone would call.
hours went by and finally, i fell asleep, ash snoring soundly beside me.
i jolted awake, alone in bed, startled by a loud noise coming from the kitchen downstairs. now, this house was large, made of concrete with metal supporting it. it was industrial, but so comforting. and everything echoed through it, no matter how small the sound. i sauntered downstairs to discover ashton cutting fruit and brewing tea, just like he used to every morning back home.
"no cal?" i said, he had is back to me.
"no, nothing." it made me uneasy. this wasn't like calum at all. he definitely wouldn't have left his phone.

we talked all day, he was trying to distract me from the fact that my boyfriend had vanished from home after falling asleep next to me.
luke and mike came over that evening, and we sat around the living area, having our own little conversations. but i hardly had any.

"i am going to go take a shower, it'll only be a few." i mumbled, dragging myself up the stairs. i don't remember the last time i took a shower without calum. he always stood behind me and washed my hair, and making sure i got most of the hot water. but i got all of it this time. i just stood there, letting it burn me and turn my skin scorching red and i didn't even budge.
i rinsed off, stepping onto the white mat in front of me, and began drying my hair when i heard a sound. texts. i wrapped the towel around me, running out into the bedroom where his phone was laying, plugged in and it was blowing up.

quickly unlocking it, i ran downstairs, the towel barely being held up by my trembling hands. several photos were being uploaded to his icloud account, he had to be signed in somewhere else. without thinking, i checked find my iphone, i thought that hopefully he would have thought of that, right? but his location must have been disabled. ashton took the phone, opening the photo app.

they were all pictures of license plates. from all over the country.

luke looked up at me, "he's trying to tell us where he is." he said sternly. i knew there was more to it than calum just going out without telling me. something was terribly wrong.