Chapter 3

When I wake up I feel Alex's hand on mine. I squeezed it so he knows I'm awake. I open my eyes. Alex and Annabeth are sitting next to my bed.

"Hey," I say. Annabeth jumped up and hugs me so hard.

"Ouch," I say. She laughs a quickly let's go. "So was going on? Like with your shitty world." They laugh.

"We are in quarantine, the doctors don't know if we carry the plague or not. I told them that we are immune and stand less than a 1% chance of getting it again. But they still won't let us leave. So we are stuck in this crappy hospital with crappy food. Considering that we have been on an island for the past year crappy food is saying a lot." Alex says. I laugh but quickly wince in pain.

"Well I'm gonna go get some food," Alex says. "Do any of you guys want any?" I shake my head. Alex leaves and Annabeth takes his spot holding my hand. We sit in silence.

"I see the way you look at him," she says. I look at her. "When he's in the room, I see how you light up when he's around. And I just want to to know its okay. I'm okay with it." I feel shy, or more like your mother just caught you stealing from the cookie jar. Annabeth is the closest thing to a sister I have and I don't want to ruin our relationship. However, I say, "Thank you." She squeezes my hand, and then walk out of the room. Something about how she said that stuck with me. I couldn't put my finger on it. All I fall asleep again.

After a few days in the hospital, I start walking around. Honestly, I feel fine. I think that the doctors just want me to slip and fall so they can do more surgery. A few days turns to a few weeks one day when we are eating lunch in my room Alex come sprinting in. He slams the door behind us and locks it.

"Alex, whats wrong?" I ask. He looks at me panic in his eyes. Sweat beets down on his forehead.

"Guys, we aren't in a hospital, were in a prison." I look at Alex and start laughing.

"That's crazy!"

He shakes his head and looks at me, "All this time have you noticed that there aren't any windows. None of the doctors make eye contact with us. We are only allowed in specific rooms. This is a prison and we are prisoners." Then suddenly I remember. I none of the doctors make eye contact with me. They always rush talking to me. And he's right there are no windows. "I also heard some doctors talking. They said something about the three. They said that they are dangerous. Hazel," He looks at me. "The other day I heard someone screaming and yelling. As I got closer to the door I heard people, blood-curdling screams. We have to leave, we have to get out of here."

"Wait, wait, wait. Hold on. If this was a prison and they torture people why are they helping us? Why did they fix Hazel?" Annabeth questions.

"I don't know. I just don't have a good feeling about this place." Just then a doctor comes in and makes Alex and Annabeth go back to their room. The doctor does a checkup. She does seem to avoid my eyes while she works. When I try to start a conversation she answers quickly and keeps working. When she leaves I flop down on my bed and think about what Alex was saying. 

I jump up in bed. I heard a soft knocking. I try to open my door but it's locked. I hear it again. I walk around my room trying to pin down where it coming from. I look toward the vet on the ceiling. Suddenly it opens up and I see a someone looking down at me.

"Who the hell are you?!" I scream.

"Shut up! Do you want to get caught?" His head disappears and goes back to the ceiling. Then a familiar face looks down on me.

"Alex!" I shout. "What the hell is going on?"

"Shhhhh! They are here to rescue us."

"And who the hell are "they" ?"

"These people are W.A.S.P." Says the voice from earlier. " they want to use you and experiment on you to find a cure for the plague. And you my friend are their next test subject. So unless you want to become a lab rat them come with us and we'll get you out of here." Alex reaches down.

"Is okay Hazel, we'll explain later." I hear Annabeth call from somewhere in the ceiling. Alright, it Annabeth was down with this then what else could I do? I look back at the door and grab Alex's extended hand. He pulls me up a little and grabs my waist and lifts me up all the way. I see Annabeth in front of me and two other figures.

"Let's go this way," Says that same voice from earlier. I look back at Alex and he nods to me. We crawl for a while on the ceiling.

"This is our stop," Says the guy in the front of the group. He lifts the panel and jumps down on the floor. We follow him. Right as I jump down the stench of something horrible come out of the rooms around us. I peer into one of them. Hundreds of bodies lie in that room. All of the people dead. Some have burn marks, others huge gashes on their chests.

"What happened to them?" I ask.

"Like I said, experiments. And you will be next if we don't hurry" We run down the hall. We reach a big room. I realise that is a hanger. Dozens of aircraft sitting there. We sneak on the outer edge of the hanger. Our leader leads up to a door.

"On the other side of this door is a living hell, however, if you stay here your life might just be as much of a hell. The world is being torn apart. The plague is taking control. When I open is door an alarm will sound. We must run and keep running until you collapse. If you don't want to come to stay here." He looks at all of us. I look at Alex and Annabeth they nod.

"Good, I'm Neal pleased to meet you." Neal them opens the door and just like he said alarms burst from every direction. A cool female voice says, Unauthorised door opening in hangar 3. All military personnel please report to hangar 3.

"shit"