Chapter 5- Jerome

Jerome tried to open his eyes, but was blinded once more by the light. There was a lot of noise around him, and he could tell that he was surrounded by a lot of people in a big echoing space. The light slowly began to dim around him, and he thought he could make out the shapes of people through the still bright light. It looked like they were running around and he thought he heard the sound of swords, but that couldn't be right. Could it?

        At the same moment he realized he could see clearly something slammed into him with the force of a semi truck. He fell back, the water splashing around him, and cracked his head open on hard rock at the edge of the pool. He was vaguely aware of a weight lifting from his chest, and then he saw someone standing over him. He was aware of the figure bending down, and he felt himself lifted into the air. He sensed that he was upside down, and that someone was carrying him over a shoulder. He fuzzily felt his body and head bouncing slightly as if the person carrying him had dropped to his knees, but the bouncing continued. His last thought was that the man carrying him must be quite strong because he now realized that the person carrying him was running.

        Then Jerome dropped into a blissful blackness, and did not wake up for several hours.