Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust chapter 10

Vote and comment please 

© jamessica stories; 2010.

All rights Reserved.

Reproduction of this story or taking of ideas in any way is prohibited; and illegal

*******************

If you see these *** around speech then that means that Dimitri and Phoenix are talking mind to mind***

*******************

Chapter 10

It was weird to be sitting in Dimitri's office with both Dimitri and Mircea while sitting beneath the magnificent work of art that depicted them both so perfectly. If I were to tilt my head at an angle it seemed as though I was seeing double.

"- and the Balaur will arrive shortly to meet their new leader."

I shook myself and tried to focus better on what was actually being said, that was when I realised that both Mircea and Dimitri were looking at me.

"oh sorry I was just slightly distracted there for a moment." damn I sound so ditsy! Focus Phoenix for goodness sake. "Did Dimitri not tell you Mircea, I don't want complete control over the Balaur, they are your vampires, I don't think it would be very courteous of me if I were to just appear in your life and take your army away from you. "

A surprised grin transformed Mircea's face. "now that is very courteous of you Phoenix, but you said you 'don't want complete control over the Balaur'. Does that mean then that we will be working alongside one another for the foreseeable future?" Mircea asked with a raised eyebrow.

There it was again the fire in his eyes. I suddenly wanted to lie to him and tell him that he was to have complete control over the Balaur, that I didn't want any, but I was pretty sure both vampires in the room would hear the lie in my voice and it would be just my luck for every other vamp in the house to hear the lie as well. Dimitri must have noticed my hesitation because when I looked over towards him for... I don't know what, he raised an eyebrow at me and was wearing a slight frown.

So I put on a bright smile and looked Mircea right in the eye, "it sure does Mircea." now that was so not a good idea, I should have gone with the lie, even if they would have heard it. At least then I might have got out of spending what could only turn into an uncomfortable amount of time with the man sitting right beside me. For some reason I felt like flinging myself over the table and into the safety of Dimitri's arms.

The thought that Dimitri was safer than Mircea made me mentally shake myself and realise someone was messing with my head. I looked from Mircea and then to Dimitri. Dimitri looked at me as though he could tell that something was wrong but didn't know what it was, but Mircea looked back at me a little too knowingly and it was making me feel very uncomfortable and unsafe. I didn't know what he was doing or why but I didn't like it and I knew it couldn't be anything good.

Before I knew it I was standing in front of Mircea with my gun drawn and the barrel pointing directly at his heart, my hand steady I gave myself a few seconds for my head to catch up with my body. I had propelled myself out of my seat as soon as I realised that it was Mircea who was doing something to mess with my head. It had all happened so quickly that not even one second had passed since I was last sitting in my chair.

I allowed my mental walls to collapse when I realised that although Dimitri was still seated calmly behind his desk, he was knocking rather loudly on our wall to find out what I was doing.

Mircea's eye's had dulled as he stared at me, the knowing look had vanished from his eyes and the unsafe feeling had dulled.

***what are you doing Ashes?*** Dimitri's mental voice was strained.