Prologue

"Unguard!" I announced in my best pirate voice.

Connor welds his stick close to his chest. "Never!"

Our 'swords' clash and in our eyes the steel of our weapons imites sparks like small embers in a fire. I swing my blade to left, in hopes I would jab him in the side. But he quickly shuffled to the side, his weight adjusting to quickly and he stumbled onto his butt. His glasses slipping down the bridge of his nose. I press the end of my sword to his neck, I quipped. "Spare your men the tragedy, Captain Wright and give me the treasure!"

He pushes his chubby neck closer to the end of my sword. "My men were trained to face countless trials, even ones conducted by someone of your title Captain Harris!" he yelled back.

Though our minds were in the midst of battle, we couldn't help but bring ourselves back to reality. I started to laugh hysterically, unable to take Connor seriously any longer. Offering my hand, I struggled to lift him up to his feet.

Conner was extremely bigger than me, he was bigger than most of the kids in our town. Which unfortunately got him picked on a lot for. I never understood kids and how they could be so mean. Despite how much my father warns me about being too vulnerable. I stumble back a few steps as he returns onto his, our fingers laced together.

Though his fingers are plump, they are soft against mine and my heart begins to beat fast. He glances away, quickly removing his hand from mine. "Sorry I have sweaty hands," he murmured.

I open my mouth to speak, to tell him that I don't mind how sweaty his hands are. But we're quickly interrupted by the kids at the bottom of the slide. "Hey Natalee! Do you want to play kickball with us!?" a boy in the same class as me yells.

I stare down from the railing, my sweaty palm pressed against the hot metal. I smile down at them. "Absolutely!"

About to go down the slide, I look back at Connor. His expression is sadder than before. I turn my attention back to the group of boys. "Can Connor come and play with us?"

"You mean hamburger helper?" one boy questioned before getting elbowed in the stomach. The other one continues. "The thing is that we really only need one more player, and bringing in Connor would just make the teams uneven."
"Oh..." I murmur.

Suddenly I feel Connor's hand creep onto my shoulder, I look back at him. Dimples on both of his chubby cheeks as he smiles to me. "Go ahead, my mom is picking me up soon anyway."

Even if he's smiling, I know that it isn't genuine, but I couldn't find it within me to say it out loud. I lay my hand out for him, saying. "Finish the hunt for the treasure tomorrow?"

His shoulders tense as if he wasn't telling me something. But he returns my handshake. "Y-yeah, see you tomorrow," he reassures.

I slid down the slide, not thinking anymore of his hesitation to answer my question.

I wish I didn't slide down.

I wish I stayed up there and continued playing with Connor.

I wish I asked him what was on his mind.

I wish that wasn't the last time I saw him.