Chapter 3: Four A.M.

Isaiah had been sleeping for about two hours when he was jolted awake by an elbow in the back. Caleb must have been having some kind of dream as he was talking in his sleep, Isaiah couldn't really hear much of what he was saying as some of it was coming out as gibberish and other words were too badly slurred to make out. Isaiah stayed still in the position he had first laid down in on his side, he could feel Caleb shifting violently and almost wondered if he should wake him up. Isaiah looked at the clock that was showing in big red letters that it was now four 'o'clock in the morning, it frustrated him because he had just managed to drift off to sleep and now he was right back to square one. Isaiah closed his eyes and tried to get back to sleep.

"... weren't you there, Mom!" said Caleb. Isaiah listened to Caleb as he spoke, he knew that Caleb didn't have a great relationship with his parents and he sounded mad. Caleb spoke a few more words that Isaiah could only make out as several irritated mumbles. "Sheena why, this to me." The expression in Caleb's voice went from angry to distressed. Isaiah hadn't realised before this how much pain Sheena had caused to Caleb over the years and it was hard not to want to reach out to comfort him. Caleb started to shift again this time not as violent and Isaiah could feel him rolling toward him. Caleb put his arm around Isaiah under the blanket startled Isaiah opened his eyes. "Love you," said Caleb. As the words left Caleb's lips he could feel what had to have been his heart melting. Isaiah had only imagined what it must have been like to hear Caleb utter these very words and now as he said it he was sleeping, it was hard for Isaiah to hear it. His eyes welled up with tears at the thought of Caleb saying it and meaning it, but he didn't want to let this go on any longer. He turned his head to look at Caleb over his shoulder he couldn't really see much through the darkness.

"Caleb?" Caleb murmured contentedly at the sound of his voice he was apparently a heavy sleeper. "Caleb, are you awake?" he asked. Caleb didn't respond vocally but slid in as close as he could get to him and took Isaiah's hand in his. Isaiah was getting nervous he could feel his own heart racing, the warm of Caleb's body excited him. "Caleb, wake up, bud." Isaiah fumbled nervously over his own words. Isaiah nudged Caleb slightly in an attempt to wake him. Shifting his arm Caleb moved Isaiah's hand under the blanket and put it on himself.

"Why didn't you say something then?" asked Caleb seductively, still clearly asleep. Isaiah pulled his hand away quickly suddenly having a rush of fear come over him. What if this was just some kind of elaborate trick to out him, what if Caleb suddenly awoke and thought that Isaiah was trying to take advantage of the fact that he was drunk. This scenario had the potential to get extremely ugly, extremely fast and Isaiah was trying his best to avoid it. He didn't want their friendship to end just as it began.

"Caleb, wake up," Isaiah spoke louder and clearer then before, but Caleb still did not wake up. Caleb brought his arm up around Isaiah's chest and started to kiss the back of his neck. The sensation of Caleb's breath on the back of his neck caused the hair on his neck to stand up and the touch of his lips sent chills down his spine. This was something that Isaiah never imagined would ever happen between them, it was all so perfect. Caleb had held Isaiah's heart for so long and didn't even realise it, Isaiah felt any care he had for what might happen slip away and turned around to face Caleb. He realised looking at Caleb that he was indeed asleep. Isaiah slowly raised his hand up and touched Caleb's face, his skin was soft to touch it was obvious that he had shaved before the party. He rested his hand on Caleb's cheekbone and stroked his cheek with his thumb. "This is so wrong, but..." Caleb kissed him, and a tear ran down Isaiah's cheek. Caleb's full lips were like warm silk as they touched Isaiah's lips. Even though Isaiah was sure Caleb thought he was kissing someone else this was his first real kiss, his dream had come true.