Chapter 23: daughter of darkness | Nam

I was still thinking about Walter as Kristian made us swim laps around the gardens to improve our speed and stamina. Arya and Tom had acted wary, maybe even scared, but he had just looked like a regular sea lion to me, and I hadn't understood what the big fuss was about, until Oli had told us in a hushed voice, "He is the immortal creature of this sea, the wisest being to ever grace this world. He is highly respected, and he hasn't been seen in a thousand years."

That explained it. Walter appeared to be the ocean equivalent to the Cheshire Cat (she was also known as Lillian as she was more commonly seen in her human form nowadays), another immortal creature that had power over dreams and visions and resided in Jendilya, although no one had ever been afraid of her. What was Walter's power? I had a feeling that he was even stronger than the Cat - and maybe wiser, if what Oli said was true.

Suddenly, Sreya shouted, "Hey! Have any of you seen Arya? She's nowhere to be seen in the barracks!" She must've gone in and back out without me noticing.

I stopped, causing Brendan to slam into me as he'd been swimming behind me. The blue eyed merman rubbed his head, glaring at me. "Sorry," I apologised, but my attention was on Sreya, who was frantically scanning the gardens.

"Where did she go?" Tom roared, grabbing Sreya harshly. "You were supposed to look after her!" Bob looked like he wanted to shout too, but refrained from doing so.

Sreya clenched her fists, but she could not fight against her Prince. "I apologise for my failure, but is this the right time to be berating me?"

Tom's expression made it clear he wanted to reprimand her further, but he knew she had a point. "Fine. This doesn't make sense, however. Where could my sister want to...?" He trailed off. "Oh. I know where she went."

Tristan blinked. "What? Already? Where?"

"To the west of Narmia," Tom practically snarled. "That creature put the stupid idea in her head, knowing that my sister would never swim away from an adventure. He intentionally manipulated her into going there. What a - "

Tristan slapped a hand over Tom's mouth. "I don't think it's wise to insult him so openly, Tom..."

"I don't care. I need to get Arya. Bob, are you coming?" Tom sheathed his sword.

Bob matched his stare. "Let's hurry." The two mermen princes swam out of the gardens before anyone could stop them. Alarmed, Tristan began to follow, and so did Sreya, after shooting Kristian a quick apology.

Kristian coughed a little awkwardly. "Let's...continue."

An idea came to me, and I ignored Kristian, instead tapping Kameron on the shoulder. "Hey, you can see what Arya sees, right? You can find her." Tom and Sreya could have thought of that, had they not let their emotions cloud their train of thought.

"I have no idea how it works, but..." Kameron closed her eyes, trying to concentrate. Kristian barked at us to join the others (who had resumed their laps), but I shook my head, gesturing to the auburn haired mermaid. Unfortunately, Kristian got the wrong idea, and swam over quickly, concerned.

I stopped him before he could touch her. "She's alright. She's just doing something for me."

Kameron's eyes opened, and maybe it was my imagination, but her irises appeared to be emerald green for a split second before returning to their usual crimson colour. "Arya's at the castle," she deduced, puzzled. "Why, I have no idea."

If Arya was indeed at the palace, it meant that the Princes were heading in the wrong direction, and it would likely be a while before they returned. "I'll go and check up on her," I volunteered. I was the least useful here anyway.