Defining Life

This is a logical argument defining what life really is. Before we get into the rest of this, here is the most crucial part of this whole book. Defining life.

People may think that being pro-life is for Christians; I'm here to prove that it's not. That's a child, born or unborn, is still a human being worth your respect. A human who has dignity at any stage in pregnancy. I want to mention that the word 'fetus' is not degrading or dehumanizing in any way; it can be translated to "baby" or "little one". I don't have a problem with using the word 'fetus'.

Let's start by establishing what a life is.

Do you define a human life as someone who breathes on their own? What about a heartbeat? What about the ability to live and provide for himself/herself? Brain activity? I'll break this down for you.

Now that this has been stated, let's start with the heartbeat. At about 3 weeks, the child's heart begins to beat... So what about before the heart begins to beat? Is it a life then? The answer is yes.

Let's take this as an example: When a person has heart surgery, the person needs a bypass machine- the heart cannot beat on its own. Without the machine, the person dies.

So during this procedure, is the patient still a person? You probably said yes, right? If not, you need a lot more than me to prove what a life is.

Now the patient's heart will beat on its own after the surgery takes place.

Now how does this relate to fetal development? The fetus' heart will eventually beat on its own at 3 weeks.

If you're confused about this, please let me know.

Moving on to brain activity.

At around 5 to 6 weeks, the fetus begins to have brain activity. Let's talk scenarios here.

Is a person in a coma who has no sort of brain activity still a person? Yes.

During a coma, yes a person is still a person and afterwords, the person will wake up (in most cases). An unborn child doesn't have brain activity until 5-6 weeks, so is an unborn baby not a person?

Again, let me know if you're confused or if I missed something.

Now let's take breathing. Obviously, a child doesn't breathe until birth. A baby can't breathe on its own until birth. (A preborn baby breathes amniotic fluid, not air.

What about someone on life support? Are they any less of a human being? No, they're not. They're still a person.

Let's tackle the ability to provide for himself/herself.

There are a number of disabilities that prevent a person from being able to support themselves alone. What about grandma? She's got dementia, she's old, etc. Is she not a person? What about a child. Let's say about 8 years old. An eight year old can't get a job or own a house. A child can't survive alone.

Now, you may still think "well, an unborn baby is part of the mother". I've heard this argument many times. The answer is, the unborn baby is a completely separate human being. He or she has genes from both the mother and father, creating a new set of DNA. DNA defines life. A life separate from both the mother and the father.

Here are some atheist pro-life articles ->

So tell me, do you still support abortion? Why or why not?