Chapter 26

Jess definitely did not like the feeling of dimension hopping. He didn't appreciate being thrown around and landing in an undignified heap on the ground.

This most recent travel was the worst. Jess was pretty sure it was his roughest landing yet, and it took him a second to get up. As he did, the world around him swayed. He didn't think he'd hit his head that hard.

He surveyed his surroundings, but this world was dark. He couldn't see much.

What he was able to see, he didn't like. A pair of yellow eyes advancing toward him. Jess went invisible, but the eyes didn't leave him. Jess glanced down at his body and he could still see it.

That was wrong. He shouldn't be able to see himself. Jess considered what he knew about his powers, that he could let anything pass through his body. That included light, which rendered him invisible. So why wasn't it working now?

The creature was close enough now that he could see it. It was something cat like stalking toward him.

Jess tried to make himself intangible at least, that was better than nothing. That didn't work either, though, he soon realized as the cat leapt at him, digging its claws into his skin.

Jess bit into his lip, not wanting to cry out and draw more attention to himself when he was so vulnerable. The claw marks stung, and the pain reverberated up through his entire arm.

He shook the cat off and not sure what to do kicked it. He sent the thing sprawling but when he tried to run was confronted with another set of eyes approaching.

He tried once again to use his powers, finding it useless. Where had Damarion sent him that he couldn't use his powers? And where were Mikayla and Sadie?

No time to think about that. Jess set off running, but the cats were faster. One pounced on him as he ran, digging its claws into his back. "

Jess tried to shake the thing off, but doing so slowed him enough that the other cat caught up to him, biting him in the back of the ankle.

This time Jess did scream out, and regretted it immediately. He was giving away his location.

He was still trying to shake the first two cats when another charged him. Two more cats followed soon after and Jess's whole world turned to claws and teeth.